Part 3: "In The Company Of Trolls"

Arthur opened his eyes sometime after dawn. His entire body hurt, but his chain mail and his skill with the sword had prevented any of the goblins with rapiers from scoring any hits beyond the wound in his right shoulder. Already the pain was fading. Arthur glanced up just as a gigantic creature like a lion landed with a heavy thud and a shriek like an eagle. 

A gryphon! 

Arthur was so petrified that he dared not breathe, not even when the beast carried his faithful servant screaming into the air. Only after the gryphon reached the treetops did Arthur finally spring to his feet, sword in hand, screaming dire and impossible threats after the animal. Then King Arthur of Camelot was truly alone in a strange land, with nothing but his sword, his armor, and a strange white gem bigger than any he had ever seen.

Arthur trudged to the edge of the forest. On vines twining around the trees hung large yellow fruits. Arthur sliced one open with his knife. The flesh inside was orange and juicy, much like a melon. Arthur munched as he strode toward a winding road that led out of the forest.

He walked out into a wide plain and bright sun. Arthur paused when he saw figures coming toward him, but as they approached they seemed less and less threatening. (He could even hear them singing snatches.) Moreover, he could easily tell that these figures were not human. Their short, stocky stature proclaimed them as dwarves. Arthur relaxed; perhaps this magical land wasn't so treacherous after all.

He hailed the dwarves as they approached.

"Good dwarves," he said, "could you tell me where I might find the nearest town?"

The dwarves all stared at him as if they had never seen a knight before. Their leader even approached Arthur and asked, "We are but humble dwarves, and I am called Wardell. What are you, O Tall one, and what are you called?"

Arthur nodded and accepted the respectful introduction. "I am a knight," he announced, "and Arthur is my name. I have an urgent need for refreshment, perhaps a place to stay—"

Wardell nodded sagely, stroking his deep, dark beard in thought. "I am afraid the nearest town is many miles away, good knight," he stated. "But my clan and I were just on our way to visit a large camp which you will no doubt find plenty of refreshment and every comfort. Be so kind as to consort with us, o great one, and we will see that you arrive in safety and good spirits."

Arthur smiled; these dwarves were certainly more polite than any other dwarves he'd ever met. As long as they kept piling on the compliments, he didn't think he would have any problems.

Arthur was quite comfortable in the company of the dwarves by the time they neared the camp. He told them about Camelot and Albion (but not of his royalty; that was unnecessary, seeing as they revered him enough for his knighthood as it was), of his incredible hunting skills and countless adventures. In return they told him of their world, Phantasm, and how he had the distinct privilege of being the only knight in existence. Arthur had only paused in talking about himself long enough to recall the gryphon carrying Merlin away, when they arrived at the edge of the camp. A new sort of creature strode out to meet them.

Arthur stopped dead in his tracks and rather rudely shouted out, "Good Lord, what is that?"

It was about the same shape as a dwarf, but far more bulky, and a hulking seven feet tall. It looked (and smelled) like a cross between a dwarf and a boar. The creature stood uptight like a dwarf, but the limbs and gut were a good deal rounder and thicker. The nose had a squashed hook-shape to it. The eyes were buried between bulging jowls and a sagging brow. The ears were triangular in shape, and hung with glinting gold rings. The creature wore several layers of tattered swatches of rich fabric. He squatted low, bowed his turbaned head, and raised his hand, a somewhat theatrical demonstration of respect.