Chapter 6

The next morning, after finally succumbing to sleep in the early hours, she woke to find him clambering, naked, into bed with her. His eyes, though tired, were full of mischief and he laughed as she grabbed and stilled his roving, exploring hands.

‘A ‘good morning’ would be nice!’ she laughingly scolded him.

‘I thought that’s what I was doing,’ he told her impudently.

She wrapped her arms round his neck and pulled him down.

‘Come here, you.’ she said and he nuzzled into her neck.

‘Ow!’ he exclaimed as she smacked his bare bottom. He wriggled and giggled.

‘That won’t stop me.’ he said and renewed his efforts.

She laughed at him. ‘It wasn’t meant to. Where are your manners?’

‘May I?’ he asked immediately. He was always going to. He always did.

‘And what if I said no?’ she tormented him. He lifted away.

‘I’d take a cold shower.’ he said and shuddered at the thought.

‘Oh, sweetheart.’ She pulled him back into her but he lay passive. ‘Oh, darling, I was only teasing, what’s wrong, my love?’

‘You didn’t say I may,’ he told her; she always did. She kissed his sad, pouting mouth.

‘You may.’ she whispered, her breath hot on his parting lips. ‘You may.’

And suddenly he laughed, that glorious sound she so loved. She pulled away and looked into his dark, mischievous eyes.

‘Jonny!’ she scolded. But he continued to laugh, taunting her.

‘You’re not the only one who can tease,’ he said, because he knew she wanted him and his holding back only inflamed her desire. He lay her down and covered her.

‘But I may?’ he asked again.

‘If you don’t hurry up and get on with it, you’ll get another smack!’ she threatened. He chuckled heartily.

‘That’d be a yes then. Ow! Right, now you’re for it.’

‘Promises, promises.’ she gurgled with laughter.

They made laughing, happy, tussling love and he was so careful that even in their play he was not rough with her, that he did not hurt her.

Exhausted he cuddled her in.

‘Oh Jonny, Jonny.’ He felt her tears.

‘Sweetheart,’ he murmured. He knew they were tears of emotion, of a joy too deep for any other form of expression.

‘I love you so much.’ she told him.

‘I know. I know you do. Almost as much as I love you,’ he said. She gave a little shaky laugh.

‘Tea?’ he suggested, knowing full well what would be her answer. He smiled fondly as he felt her nodding against him.

‘Yes, please.’ she said. He clambered out and put his towelling robe back on.

‘There’s a new packet of biscuits in the cupboard. I forgot to put them in the barrel.’

He shook his head and tutted.

‘Housekeeping’s getting very slack around here.’

He ducked as a pillow hurtled past his head. He bent and retrieved it.