Chapter 14

When they got home, Bea and Jonny got out of the car. She was carrying the lettuce which had considerably wilted by now. She looked at him and he nodded. They had discussed it at lunch.

‘Frank, we really appreciate you sharing your hamper with us today and all Susie’s lovely dishes.’

‘Our pleasure ma’am, she’ll be thrilled to know you enjoyed it.’

‘Yes, we did. Have you and Susie made any plans for the weekend, do you know?’

‘I don’t think so, Ma’am. Would you be needing me to take you somewhere? That won’t be a problem.’

‘No, no, nothing like that. Jonny and I would like to ask you and Susie over for dinner at the weekend, if you are free. As you won’t be driving it will be easier than on a week day when you and Jonny keep such long hours. You can decide with Susie tonight what day would suit you both best and let us know tomorrow. Would that be alright?’

‘I... I.... that’s very kind. Susie would love that. I’ll ask her. Thank you.’

‘Our pleasure, Frank. See you tomorrow. Goodnight.’

‘Goodnight Jonny. Ma’am.’

‘It’s Bea, Frank.’

‘Yes ma’am... Bea.’ He hurried to the car and drove off. Susie would never believe it. She’d want a new dress. It would be worth it.

Bea and Jonny exchanged affectionate glances.

‘Sweet,’ smiled Bea.

‘You don’t think they might feel uncomfortable...?’ said Jonny.

‘Get you, it’s hardly Buckingham Palace.’

‘No, but I am the King of England!’ he reminded her.

‘Inside, Henry before this lettuce gives up the ghost completely!’

‘Yes ma’am,’ and he hurried, laughing, inside.

Bea went straight to the kitchen and plunged the lettuce into a bowl of water and tipped ice cubes on top.

‘What are you doing?’ Jonny enquired.

‘Freshening up the lettuce. I thought we could use some in a salad.’

‘Oh yeah, before or after I’ve spanked you with it?’ he wanted to know. She didn’t deign to give him a reply.

‘What are we having anyway?’

‘I’ve got some nice salmon fillets. I thought I’d do them with mixed roast vegetables and a bit of salad and French stick.’

‘Can we have garlic butter?’

‘No, not when you’re working, Jonny.’

‘I’m not doing any love scenes,’ he wheedled.

‘It’s still antisocial and anyway we’ve got hollandaise sauce. Now, instead of arguing the toss perhaps you’ll go and get washed up, then start the vegetables for me, please.’

She saw his head wobbling and his mouth working, impersonating her as a nagging woman. She strode to the kitchen drawer.

‘I’m going! I’m going!’ he said and ran.

She laughed; that’s all it took – it was as easy as that. He turned at the foot of the stairs.

‘After dinner, after I’ve washed up, you’re mine. You do what I say,’ he told her impudently.

‘But it’s not after dinner yet, is it? Now get yourself upstairs. This minute!’ and she rattled the drawer. He whooped with laughter and ran.