Chapter Eleven

Chapter Eleven

 Please, go back!

I loathed myself for begging, but I couldn't stop. I had to go back. I had to see Theo. I had to make sure he was all right. I wanted to be the one to warm him up and nurse him back to health. I physically ached to go back, but Epimetheus ignored me as he paced along the River Styx near the unfinished dock.

I could feel him thinking, his thoughts scattered and searching for something to do, a way out of the mess he'd buried himself into. I made no comment about that and kept talking.

Let me go! I need to be with Theo! He needs me! I shouted angrily, writhing and kicking to escape, to push Epimetheus away, but his soul fell down heavily on me, crushing me so I felt like I was trapped inside a small box, the cold walls clenching around me to match Epimetheus' fury.

Shut up, Epimetheus snarled at me, coming to a stop to glare down at the ground, stop squirming so much and stop yelling so much! I'm trying to think here!

Not until you take me back! I have to see Theo!

Hell no, Epimetheus sneered, clenching his fists and pressing them against the sides of his head, if I go back there, they'll attack me. I forgot about Adrian and Abel. Then again, it won't matter. Theo's on the verge of dying, which means all his brothers are slowly crumpling as well. Soon, Hades will have no children powerful enough to protect his domain and I can step in and--

You can't kill the god of the Underworld.

Everyone dies. Hades will die. And by my hand... Goddamn it, I need help. Epimetheus decided with a frustrated sigh and closed his eyes, vanishing from the docks and reappearing somewhere else. I could still feel the cool wind, despite being trapped. The wind pulled at my clothes and ruffled my hair, but Epimetheus reached up and brushed it back from his eyes, revealing a short path that led up a steep hill. He walked the crumbling stone steps, then pulled up short, flinching.

At the top of the hill was a large, jagged rock. A man was bound to the rock, his arms thrust up over his head with his shackles hooked to the top of the rock, his legs shackled apart along the bottom. He was completely naked and slumped over, his dark hair hiding his face, but I didn't need to see it to know who it was.

"Prometheus." Epimetheus breathed in pain and took a few steps forward, then pulled up short. I could feel the pain tearing through Epimetheus as he stared at his brother. The worst part was the gaping bloody hole in his torso. There was blood caked around the opening, fresh and oozing in heavy rivers that fell down his abdomen and down his legs. Blood dripped occasionally from his mouth and to the ground.

"Prometheus." Epimetheus tried again. This time, Prometheus shifted a little, lifting his head weakly to peer past his long dark hair, revealing a face that looked very much like Epimetheus' real face, the one on his body back in Tartarus.

"Epi...metheus...?" He managed, sounding surprised. Epimetheus sighed in relief and came up to Prometheus, who tried to straighten, but his body was too weak and battered. Epimetheus got extremely close to Prometheus and seemed to practically nuzzle him as he touched Prometheus' chest.

"I'll get you out of here, I promise." He whispered, stepping back to look into Prometheus' face. Prometheus seemed confused for a moment, then shook his head slowly, tilting it to the side after to rest it on his shoulder.

"Don't bother, Epimetheus. The last attempt failed and Heracles was the one punished for it."

"I don't care," Epimetheus snapped impatiently, clenching his fists and looking into his brother's face, the sound of his heart beating like crazy in my ears, "I'm going to get you out this time, I promise. I have a good plan. Mostly."