20: Melodious

hana was on her way home, but first she had to make a pit stop, at the medical pharmacy, having moved in such a rush, their house may seem only furnished to outside eyes, but it really was only furnished with furniture. 

they hadn't the basic needs and most of their shelves were collecting dust, crockery filling some of them, but how much crockery would the young couple own to fill the lavish house? 

hana looked over the reception as a staff came over, glum but attentive looking, "yes?" he asked, waiting for her reply as he eyed the unusual rush today. 

"a strip of paracetamol, heat pack and, uh pads please." he nodded, moving away to the racks. she checked if she got everything, hoping she won't forget something or the other. 

"here." he pushed the bottle of medicine towards her, a gloomy blue heat pack and a medium size of pad pack. "thank you" she acknowledged and paid the receipt. 

"i hope he's better now" she sighed to herself, her bag stuffed with the new items as she scurried past the darkening streets to go home, she dropped from the bus ten minutes away from the house.

+

"jay, i'm home!" she called out not heeding to the figure infront of her as she dropped her bag, soon she felt herself drop too by the weight of the unfamiliar person on her. 

"melody?!" her eyes widened at the honey blonde slim figure, who was radiantly smiling as she engulfed hana in a bone crushing hug. 

melody, sweet sweet melody. she was hana's eldest cousin, who was settled in spokane after university, a bachelorette and all her family adored their eldest child.

"how are you, my baby, so grown up!" melody pulled her little sister's cheeks before jay guided them to the sofa, hana's eyes not leaving his swollen ones, lingering between jay and the unexpected guest. 

"I never though I'd miss your marriage out of all our cousins, yet I jinxed it so bad I didn't even get to see you, spokane just can't get enough of this" melody joked, her carefree nature still hadn't changed, she couldn't care less about what people might think, confidence screaming around her. 

hana's nerved calmed down once she saw jay sit on the recliner, a few mere steps away from the sister duo as he reduced the noise from the TV. too much stimulation. 

"why did you drop by so suddenly, mel?" hana's english glided off her tongue smoothly, just not as smoothly as jay's head which perked in interest toward them. 

it's been years since he had heard her speak so fluently and gracefully in her english accent. having heard korean everywhere. 

before melody answered, jay piped in, in english as well, "how come I never heard you speak english in such a long time?" jay asked, reminiscing their acquaintance from school days. 

"your fault." hana stated, grabbing the cover from her bag as she tossed it over to him, free from melody's hold. 

"I finally caught a break at work, of course I'd first make plans to visit my dear family, and my newest member too" she smiled at jay in an almost formal way, who he acknowledged, weakly. 

"right, but-"

"what a good-looking husband you have, little sister. . ." melody spoke korean, but it was off. it cringed hana when she held her hand and dragged her towards the couch. 

"quite unfair you got a husband before me" melody rolled her eyes, hana only glared in response.

but jinxed it.

"melody, I heard you work in one of the big ass firms back in spokane?" jay spoke formally, melody nodded with a smile.

"correct, and I know much about you. so I am not going to make conversation now" her eyebrows twitching as she gazed at hana's husband, almost as if she was scanning. 

hana was however taken aback from her rudeness, she was always to sweet. 

"yes, yes he is. speaking of, melody, you haven't seen the house. so, I'll show you and then you, can leave" hana smiled sarcastically, pulling melody off the couch as they left behind a confused jay.

"sure" she nodded, getting up and walking past them. 

"don't mind her" hana whispered before leaving jay in the hall. her hot breath fanning his ear as she didn't even seem to notice the affect it had on him. 

"welp."

_