Chapter Forty: The Rumbles of a Roar

"Suddenly the summer, it's clear
I never had the courage of my convictions
As long as danger is near
And it's just around the corner, darling
'Cause it lives in me
No, I could never give you peace"

- Taylor Swift, "Peace"

Chapter Forty

Gabby slipped out of the room to find Beck.

Julian decided to come along to the interrogation after checking in with his team.

Quentin still hadn't been found.

The men were getting agitated and antsy at their boss's disappearance. It was incredibly unlike him, and it didn't match the intense passion for Greystone I remembered. However, the men didn't seem worried per se, but rather increasingly frustrated and angry.

Simon and Julian left the room first. I went to follow, but felt a firm yet gentle hand on my arm. My surprised eyes met Reed's.

"How are you?" he asked quietly, his voice low. He'd stepped closer to avoid being heard through the open door, and his eyes were searching mine again, leaving no room or opportunity for dishonesty. His gaze held me like I wished he could. Unflinchingly, unapologetically, unabashedly.

"I'm coping. Why'd you change your mind?"

The question tumbled out before I could stop it. Reed was standing so close; his hand was still on me. I was more disarmed than I should've been.

"About what?"

"An insider at Greystone. Why'd you change your mind?"

Reed sighed and ran his free hand through his hair, staring around the room before dropping his head again to my level.

"I never changed my mind, I always knew it was a possibility. I just didn't want you to think it was me... or think I couldn't protect you." His voice was ragged and hoarse as he admitted this, but his eyes never left mine. "I'm sorry. I didn't want to admit the very people who are supposed to protect you could be trying to hurt you instead."

He'd believed me the day I'd brought it up, but he'd shut me down, fearful I'd think it was him. I was ashamed to admit it was true. I had suspected him, as brief as it was.

"I trust you," I whispered, leaning closer. And I did. It was surprising, yet it made more sense than anything else I'd ever known. Relief flickered in his eyes as he searched for a lie, but found none.

"Good," he breathed.

Then our moment ended, an aching familiarity that reminded me of a deserted motel; where our maybes and almosts had slipped into empty nothings.

I followed Simon, Julian, and Reed back to the pair of doors that hid the interrogation set-up. This time I thought I knew what to expect, but I was surprised when Reed disappeared into the room with Warren. Simon followed him as Julian led me back to the viewing room.

Warren watched with quiet satisfaction as Reed stalked in. Reed had put up every wall he had as he crossed the threshold, becoming impassive and blank, but power still roiled off him in crushing waves. He was undeniably in charge. He settled at the table across from Warren and crossed his arms, his head slightly turned, allowing me to see his hard eyes as he evaluated the slimy man before him. Contempt was clear in his behavior, but he gave no other signs of warning to his prey. Warren slightly squirmed.

Good.

Simon sat next to Reed, calm and refined.

It was Warren who finally broke the silence, his mocking grin back on his face. "Simon, you brought a friend."