part nine: a great escape

Author's Note: Oh me? Moi? No, no, nothing to add. Just a regular ol' chapter!

CW: suggestive imagery/ description

Eddie clambered back over your windowsill, bracing as he gripped the edge and prepared to leap back down into your front yard.

You nudged him back with the toe of your shoe, watching as he landed not-so-gracefully onto the grass. He briefly tripped over himself before a swan-like recovery, garnished by a dramatic bow like a diver who'd just achieved a 'perfect 10.'

Dork.

You smiled, smothering a laugh so as not to draw any attention to your room as the two of you made your great escape.

You placed a now-booted foot over the window, turning slightly as you gripped the edge and leapt down with ease.

"Oh, you do this a lot, huh?" He teased, tone still hushed as he placed a hand on your back to guide you to the edge of the lawn. You could see perfectly fine, illuminated by the fluorescent street light on the corner, but you didn't brush him away.

"Well I can't reveal all my secrets, can I? Allow me to keep at least an inch of mystery, will you?"

You nudged him lightly with your elbow as he chuckled, the two of you reaching the curb and stepping onto the abandoned street.

"Fine, fine, my little mystery. I won't tell a soul."

You felt your face warm, thankful for the cover of the dim light and his eyes forward on the road as you carried on.

In the same moment, a breeze shifted through the silent street, reminding you that you'd neglected to grab a sweater before the two of you had abandoned your bedroom.

You shivered, covered by no more than a pair of athletic shorts and a thin Clash t-shirt, the outfit you'd have slept in had he not shown up to sweep you away. The only addition was the pair of heavy boots you'd slipped on prior to leaving, their primary attraction being that they were closest to the window; unreliable in their ability to stay tied, you realized, as you glanced to see one lace already undone.

Without missing a beat, Eddie stirred beside you, quickly flinging his leather jacket from his own shoulders to place it gingerly over yours.

"Here," he spoke softly, "I guess you get to wear my stupid clothes after all."

You smiled up at him warmly, breaking his stare, to his disappointment, as you glanced down as your left shoe.

Before you could even bend to tie it, he was already on the ground, kneeling before you.

Wordlessly, he grabbed the lace in his hands, looking up to you as he fumbled through the dark to secure it.

You gazed back down at him, kneeling in his long sleeve band tee, knees scraping the pavement through the holes in his jeans as he double knotted your shoelace.

"Aren't you a gentleman," you cooed as he rose.

He didn't step back, instead towering over you as he stared intently into your eyes.

You could practically melt under that gaze.

"God, I hope not."

He angled your chin up toward him with his jeweled forefinger and thumb, not wasting a second as the two of you had before in the caution of your bedroom.

It was there, in the quiet midnight moonshine, canopied by the dim street light with adrenaline hammering in your chest, that Eddie Munson finally kissed you.

Your heart thundered as his lips crashed into yours, his hand finding your waist beneath his own jacket as he pulled you to him.

You threw your arms around his neck, hands finding their place in his hair as the two of you stood there on the pavement together, like the rest of the world had paused.

Finally, lungs burning and skin on fire, you pulled away for air.

Ragged breaths passed between the two of you as you stood in place, your arms still around his neck, his hands still on your waist.

He held you gently, but firmly, as if he were afraid you'd slip away.

His forehead fell lightly against yours, and your eyes fluttered shut.

"You have no idea," he began, voice strained from his regaining breath, "how much I've been wanting to do that."

You leaned into his touch as he transferred a hand from your side to your face, brushing your cheek with his thumb.

You placed your own hand atop his, lacing your fingers together.

"Yeah," you breathed. "I definitely don't hate you."

He chuckled into your hair, pulling you to him once more.

A great escape, indeed.