~he's gone~ chapter seven

Nikolas's POV

"I'm gonna go check on August, baby. I'll be back in a few." I told Davide as we finished up another episode of Gilmore Girls.

We've been cuddling on the couch together for a few hours now and even if August isn't awake, I should wake him soon or he'll never sleep tonight.

"Alright, amore." He replied, releasing me from his strong hold. I placed a quick kiss to his lips before heading to our bedroom. When I entered, the lights were still off and August was curled up in the middle of the bed, looking so tiny as the soft mattress swallowed him up. He was clutching the comforter between his fists with a small, sleepy smile on his face. (Love.)

I moved further into the room and sat down next to his peaceful form.

"It's time to wake up, sweet boy." I whispered to him, bringing my hand up to swipe some hair off of his forehead. When August didn't so much as stir I reached down and gently rubbed his small tummy, rousing him from his sleep.

"Nu, mama." He whined adorably, attempting to role over, however, I kept a firm hand on his stomach, preventing him from moving away.

"I'm sorry, bugga boo, but you've gotta get up now." I told him with a sympathetic smile on my face. The little one needs more sleep, it's true, but if he sleeps any longer it'll ruin any more rest for the night.

He didn't answer, only raising his small arms into the air and pushing them up in my direction.

With a chuckle, I bent down and scooped him into my arms. He clung to my neck as I adjusted his thin body on my hip and held onto him tightly, one hand over his upper back and the other supporting his bum.

"Goo' now, mama." He mumbled as he nuzzled into my chest, his words being muffled by the fabric of my sweater.

"I'm glad, monkey." I couldn't keep the soft smile off of my face as I said the words, he's such a sweet little boy. I rubbed his back softly as I left my bedroom and made my way back to the living room.

"Where daddy at?" My steps paused as I heard August's eager question. It means the world to me that he recognizes Davide as his daddy after only knowing him for a few hours. To be accepted so quickly is a gift I didn't think we would get.

"We're going to him, little one. Just a few more moments." I assured him as I forced my feet to continue down the hallway.

"Daddy!" August yelled as soon as we entered the living room. He practically jumped from my arms as I bent down and released him onto the couch.

Davide looked surprised as he opened his arms up and accepted August's small body tumbling onto his lap, landing with a soft 'humph'.

"Hello, bambino. It's nice to see you too." Davide spoke gently with a goofy smile on his face. I met his eyes and we shared a short moment of mutual happiness at the possibility of a family we'd created, August is exactly what we've been waiting for. (Baby.)

"Mmmm." Is all August said as he cuddled deep into Davide's broad chest. I sat down next to them and reached out to run my hands through August's hair as he calmed himself down from his excitement. It was quiet for a few minutes until I heard August's stomach let out an angry growl.

"Would you like something to eat, bug?" I asked after glancing at the clock and finding that it was already 6:00 p.m. The growling made sense, it's been almost seven hours since he's eaten.