Attempted Hope in a Battlefield

action Write To Rank 2022 contest.
Round 1: White Belt. You will write a 100-word drabble.

Prompt: It's all chaos around you, but for a split second you look up and across the battlefield. What do you see, or what emotion do you feel? Can you make us experience the moment in just 100 words?

Assignment:

Regaining consciousness, I hear fire shots. I taste the sand as it engulfs me; my body is mixed with blood and sweat. I should have listened to my captain. Instead, I lead my teammates to a slaughter. What am I thinking, disobeying orders? My trained mind is screaming to pull strength. I gasp for air as I look at the smokey sky, and push myself from the pile of sand. As I sit, ready to surrender, I look ahead. I see something glimmering afar. Our reinforcement heard our plea for backup. Hope fills me with every breath. They'll save us...

****
Word count: 100 words.

Thank you for reading! It was definitely challenging to write an entire story (start, climax, finish) in just 100 words, but I enjoyed the challenge.

Do you think backup will save them? Or will it be too late?

****
Update:

OMG! Yay! I passed round 1! Stay tuned for round 2: Yello belt. This is so exciting! And congratulations for those who passed the 1st round as well *squeals*