XVI

"The rest: be damned." A.D. Aliwat, In Limbo

---- 

XVI.

The following weeks passed quickly, and the end of May drew nearer. The Season, of course, did not slow, and the endless procession of balls, soirees, garden afternoon teas, luncheons, and whist parties continued.

Unfortunately for Jem, his invitation to such events relied upon his sister's attending, and as Grace's pregnancy progressed, her strength and stamina waned. Though these functions were not the only place that Jem would have occasion to see Cressie.

Belle, the saint that she was, had continued to allow them both to use her shop as a rendezvous point. It was at Belle's shop where they could talk, albeit briefly, and where they could continually affirm their feelings for one another. This, all the sneaking around and longing, would all be worth it in the end when they could be together openly.

Jem had not merely spent the month of May pining, for he did have a responsibility to Adam. Not only was he dedicated to the vocation his brother-in-law provided, but he was determined that this income would facilitate his ability to marry. He was not stupid. He knew that he could not ask for a woman's hand without a home to give her or an income to support her.

Adam and Grace were both privy to Jem's clandestine meetings with Cressie, and whether they disapproved or not they kept to themselves. Both, however, wanted Jem to be successful in his pursuit.

Jem was not the only one in pursuit of Cressie Martin. Everett Delaney had publicly declared himself in pursuit of Miss Martin's hand shortly after Cressie's birthday. They were, essentially, courting. Though there could never have been a more one-sided affair in London's history than Mr Delaney's quest for Cressie's hand. At least, Jem needed to tell himself that constantly whenever he saw them together during the London evenings.

Cressie continually assured Jem that her mother would come around that Mrs Martin would understand eventually, but Jem felt as though there was a clock rapidly ticking on his time with Cressie if he did not act. He felt like he had already let her go with one hand when he had agreed to wait, and he was very quickly losing his grip on the other hand as they delayed.

As May came to a close, the decision was made for Adam and Grace to return to Ashwood to await the birth of their third child before it became too challenging for Grace to travel. Jem could never begrudge them this after everything that Grace had done to assist him in entering Society.

"I don't want you to return with us, Jem," Adam informed Jem from the seat behind his desk in the study. Jem sat across from him as he always did, a bevy of documents in between them.

Jem had not planned on returning with them. In fact, he had been thinking of reasons not to go since they had announced their departure at breakfast that morning. Perhaps his brother could not do without him and absolutely needed him to stay in his newlywed marital home for a month.

But Adam seemed to have other ideas.

"Oh?" replied Jem, completely intrigued.

"You have done excellent work for me since your training began," Adam complimented. "You and your brother share a penchant for numbers, it seems. I am fortunate, I know, to have your keen eye on my books."

"Thank you," Jem said gratefully.

"I am going to leave you in London for the remainder of the summer," Adam decided, "in charge as my House Steward. Officially. This title will grant you responsibilities over my household staff, and the butler will answer to you. This role will also pay you a salary of a hundred pounds per annum.