Insubordination

Wenren È had originally planned to go right out and kidnap Zhongli Qian after finishing the sword, but seeing Dubhe shining in the sky, he was abruptly reminded that he had a sect to run. Xuanyuan Sect had sustained heavy losses from the Great Sect War, with many experts having died and been sent on. Out of the four Altar Masters, three were severely injured and the fourth had run off to Shangqing Sect to become a wandering immortal. With the Left Protector and the Sect Master missing, the only person who was still capable would've been the Right Protector.

"Come to think of it, even if this Venerable captured Zhongli Qian, I still need a place to imprison him," Wenren È said. "The Right Protector knows more on matters of love than we do, so the matter of making Zhongli Qian fall in love with Baili Qingmiao must also be assigned to her."

Now that he'd obtained his sword, Yin Hanjiang recognized that he wasn't supposed to be the Venerable's yes-man, but help him and ease his burdens.

He thought about it hard and said, "The Right Protector has high ambitions. The Xuanyuan Sect is currently without a leader, so I fear it has fallen into chaos."

"It looks to me like she's living large right now," Wenren È said, glancing at Dubhe overhead. "Oh well. There's still several decades until Baili Qingmiao and Zhongli Qian are meant to meet. We have plenty of time, so let's return to Xuanyuan Sect and sort things out first."

"Understood," said Yin Hanjiang.

Before they departed, Wenren È glanced down at the Ice Plains, whose flames had all but dissipated under the force of the heavenly lightning. Originally, the flames would've been covered by ice again after a hundred years or so, forming a new Ice Plains, but now the lightning had expended much of the underground fires' power. Mountains had been pulverized into dirt, slowly burying the dormant flames.

In their clash, the lightning and fire had filled the land with immense spiritual energy, enough to give rise to new living beings.

Soon, the land beneath them would be transformed into a vast grass plain.

With only a glance, Wenren È left in a flash of crimson light, paying it no more mind. Yin Hanjiang flew on the Army Crushing Sword and caught up to him. Wenren È had held back his speed for him, but Yin Hanjiang's sword flight had become significantly faster. Wenren È, seeing that Yin Hanjiang kept up easily, sped up some more.

Yin Hanjiang urged his sword on and was still able to follow at a steady distance an arm's length behind Wenren È. It was only until Wenren È reached twice his original speed that Yin Hanjiang started falling behind.

It had taken them half a day to arrive at the Ice Plains, but this time it only took three hours to return to the outskirts of Xuanyuan Sect. Wenren È didn't arrive directly to the main hall, instead stopping outside. Pleased, he said to Yin Hanjiang, "You've finally understood the true meaning of sword flight, as opposed to letting swords fly you."

Yin Hanjiang's speed had always been slow, not only because of his low realm, but also because the demonic sword didn't obey his will. He was always distracted with keeping it under control, which slowed him down.

"Sword cultivators are the strongest among all cultivators. Previously, you were able to exert power beyond your realm because the demonic sword was using you, not due to your own strength or sword will. Now that you've bonded to a weapon of your own, this Venerable looks forward to seeing your true strength as a sword cultivator." Wenren È looked at Yin Hanjiang with encouragement.

Yin Hanjiang, however, only looked at Wenren È's missing arm which had yet to regrow, his face rather pale.

"Don't worry." Wenren È covered his shoulder with one hand. "Since I cut off a part of my soul, it'll naturally take a while to recover. A minor injury like this won't prevent this Venerable from taking back Xuanyuan Sect."