CHAPTER 8: HONEY, I'M HOME

To say you were terrified would be an understatement

You didn't want to risk Eliza becoming another victim of the murderer that was stalking you, so you had reluctantly returned back to your apartment after a few days.

The entire drive there, you had a pit in your stomach. Fear and anxiety felt like it was eating you alive. A place you used to call home didn't feel like a safe space for you anymore, making you feel hopeless.

The police weren't helping at all, so it was only you that could save yourself. But, you don't know what to do. You had tried to rack your brain for ideas, but you couldn't focus. Your hands shook as you tapped the steering wheel, your eyes directed ahead on the road you were taking back to your apartment.

I wish I could just move out of my apartment, but I don't have the money for it. And there's no way I'm going to ask people for money. My student debt is already too high, I don't need to owe anyone more than I can pay. Your jaw clenched as you gripped the wheel.

So, I'm basically doomed then. You felt anger and frustration flare up inside of you. I just have to wait my days till I'm gruesomely murdered by that psycho. Fuck that. If it's gonna be them or me, it's going to be me. I'm not going down without a fight. I'm going to do everything in my power to stay alive. So what they may have more experience in fighting, I've got anger issues and sharp nails, it's fair game.

You breathed in sharply. Remember what they said, don't let your anger control you. Breathe in. Breath out. Anger doesn't help. Don't get angry. Anger gets you nowhere. You forcibly unclenched your jaw and hands. Your eyes widened when you realized that your apartment complex was only a turn away. Dread filled your being.

It's okay. I'm okay.

Upon entering the apartment complex, you drove toward your unit. Your heart thudded loudly in your ears as you parked in your signature spot. I lied. I can't do this. I can't. Your breath came out in uneven huffs. Your hands gripped the wheel so hard that your nails dug into your palms.

I need to leave. It's not safe. I need to leave.

You felt like you could barely breathe the longer you looked at the apartment complex ahead of you. You forced your head down, resting it on the wheel as you tried to control your shaky breathing. You closed your eyes, taking in shallow breaths and then exhaling. You released the wheel, combing your trembling hands through your hair.

Just focus. Focus on anything but that.

You focused on your 5 senses. What you see, feel, hear, taste, and smell. You felt your heart rate slow down, no longer thumping out your chest. You recited positive affirmations in your head, desperately trying to calm down and be able to take down the problem ahead of you.

You slumped against the wheel, feeling as if all energy had suddenly evaporated from you. I just need to get in, lock everything, check around the house, and then I'm alright. Your hand moved toward the handle, before hesitating. You grit your teeth and forced your hand to grab the handle as you swiftly exited the car. Second thoughts are not allowed right now.

You walked fast into the building, pressing the number 3 on the elevator door. You hyped yourself up as you fidgeted, watching the numbers rise on the top of the elevator door wall. As soon as the doors opened you sprinted toward your door. Your hands fished to grab your keys, slamming them into the lock and turning, hearing the clean click of it unlocking. You stopped for a moment, wondering if you really should go inside. You shook your head, it's too late to stop now. You turned the knob as the door squeaked open.

You peered into your apartment from the door. Nothing looks wrong from here. You slowly entered the apartment, closing the door behind you and locking it. Your hand grabbed the bear spray from your bag, cautiously holding it out in front of you. "Please don't be here.." You chanted softly, voice shaky and squeaky. You tiptoed around the apartment, checking the area. You screeched feeling something touch your back. Twisting around, you saw that you had managed to knock over a broom by accident.