CHAPTER 16: BUDDY BUDDY

You winced at the sight of the morning light breaking past your closed eyelids. You grumbled uncomfortably, twisting your body so you could push your head further into the pillow. A hum flowed through your lips at the relief of the light going away, but it was too late. You were already fully awake. You sighed and creaked your eyes slowly open. You recoiled as a bright light met your eyes again, causing you to instinctively shut your eyes again with a soft curse escaping your lips.

You propped yourself up on your forearms, glancing around the room. Your eyes were met with flowing curtains and a light chill floating in the air that made you shiver without the fluffy duvet covering you anymore. A cold breeze flowed into the room, causing the curtains to fly lightly into the air before settling back down. You scanned your surroundings, feeling odd in the new environment since you were already so used to waking up in your old apartment's bedroom.

Your feet met the cold wooded floors, causing you to cringe at the chilly feeling. You were starting to miss carpeted floors. Wooden floors felt so unfamiliar. Your feet padded across the room as another breeze passed through your clothing which made you hold back a shiver. Your hands met the window sill, closing the window with a quiet squeak and a thud. You locked it and glanced out the window, seeing the familiar exterior that you'd seen before the last time you stayed at Eliza's.

With the mission accomplished, you sank back into your bed and contemplated going back to sleep. Your bones snapped and crackled as you stretched, making you laugh quietly at how much it made you resemble an old lady. With a lazy smile and a hunched-over back, you checked the time. It was around 8:45 am on a Sunday. You rubbed your face, wiping off the sleepy haze and waking up more. Your memory slowly cleared up as yesterday's memories passed through your mind, eyes widening and mouth going agape as realization settled upon you.

Holy shit, you kissed Gael.

And he kissed you back.

You wondered when you had gained such confidence. You swallowed thickly, as a sense of curiosity and nervousness settled over you. Did this mean that your relationship.. changed? I mean, it's probably not gonna be the same as before. Unless... Your stomach felt funny and you decided to push the kiss in the back of your mind for now and deal with it later. You slipped out of bed once again, creeping towards the door and on the way slipping on a pair of fluffy socks. Your stomach grumbled and you wanted to fill the ache with something. The door quietly creaked open and you stepped out into the hallways, the rest of the house feeling significantly warmer than your bedroom. You made your way to the staircase, holding the rail and the wooden stairs creaked under your weight on them. You held back a yawn as you reached the bottom of the steps, nervous energy floating around you.

Eliza is always awake early in the mornings, so you already knew she would be there but you weren't completely sure about Gael. Most of the time when Gael stayed at your house, he would leave before you got up, except on rare occasions when you'd see him sleeping peacefully on your couch far after you woke up. His sleeping schedule seemed as hectic as yours. You'd fall asleep first but he'd get up in the mornings first, which made you wonder how much sleep he got in the first place.

You hesitantly made your way to the kitchen, peeking your head in the doorway and audibly sighing in relief when you didn't see him. You just weren't prepared yet. Eliza's head perked up at the sound, looking towards you with owlish eyes. She sat on the stool at the island counter, scrolling through her phone before you grabbed her attention. "Good morning?" She said, confusion edging in her voice. "What's got you looking so nervous this early?"

With no Gael in the kitchen, you walked in freely. You settled yourself at the counter next to Eliza, hunching over and resting your elbow on the counter with your head in your hand. "Nothing. Just still waking up." You yawned, dismissing it. The air in your head felt cloudy, your thoughts conflicting and skin tingling with nervousness and excitement hidden beneath the surface. She sent you a raised eyebrow.