Chapter 5

Lynetta Gail had other plans, though. While Draven decided never to see her again, she showed up to his home once more.

It had been a few weeks. He had ignored his sweet tooth, and his urge to seek out Lynetta by burying himself in work. He was good at that. He assumed that if he never contacted her again, she would do the same.

But on a Tuesday around the same time as the first, she showed up with a box of assorted sweets.  She had somehow managed to find his office, and he was not sure how.

All ideas of forgetting about her flew out the window.

"King Draven," she smiled that lovely smile. He hated the fucking butterflies and the giddy puppy dog feeling that arose. "How are you today?"

"It is good to see you, Lynetta." And he meant it. "I did not expect you to drop by."

"Friends visit each other," she concluded. She seemed relaxed today. She came around his desk to his side, setting down the box and opening the lid. "Besides, I was testing a few new recipes and figured you would be the best judge."

"These look incredible," he said. "Drag a chair over."

She did as she was told, pulling a chair all the way next to his, and when he turned to face her, their knees bumped together.

"Little cream puffs, chocolate mint cookies, and a variety of macarons."

"Wow." He popped a cream puff in his mouth, a burst of sweet flavor taking over his taste buds. "You are beyond talented."

"Thank you," she said. "I've been thinking of you."

"You have?"

"You were very upset last week," she said, taking a cookie and breaking it in half. She offered him one of the pieces.

"Yes, it comes with the job." He shrugged it off. He had a temper and was used to getting his way. He did not enjoy things that were out of his control. "Do you like horses?"

Her stunning brown eyes met his and they crinkled as she smiled. "I love them."

Draven stood, offering her his hand. "Let me show you my other favorite spot here."

Her small hand was soft and warm in his own. She followed him out into the snow, to the barn.

"This is Frost," he introduced.

Lynetta dropped his hand to pick up a treat. He was disappointed to lose her touch.

"Aren't you cute," she cooed, stepping into the stall. "You are almost as pretty as my horse at my home."

"You have a horse?" Draven asked.

Lynetta nodded. "Her name is Storm. She was my father's."

"Storm and Frost." Draven ran his hand along the horse's snout.

"I like this spot," she whispered, bashful. "Thank you for sharing it with me."

"I am glad you dropped by today," Draven said, his voice lowering to match hers. She looked so beautiful with rosy cheeks, and her smile was beyond his wildest dreams.

"I know you were avoiding me." Her lips curled into a delicious pout, and he couldn't resist crowding her space, just a little. She had to look up at him.

"Forgive me. I do not know if getting mixed with the king is such a good idea. I only bring trouble." He reached to skim his thumb along her cheek. Touching her was an addiction.

"I'm okay with trouble. I'm not okay with you constantly being in my head," she teased, and Draven gave a warm chuckle. He leaned down to brush his lips against her cheek.

"I am glad we are on the same page," he added.

"What do we do about it? " she asked, stepping closer. They were chest to chest now.

Draven shrugged. He didn't fucking know. He never wanted to get to know someone like he did Lynetta at this very moment.

"How about dinner?" she offered. "At my place?"

"Your place?" he questioned, confused.

Lynetta smiled, "Yes, I can cook just like I can bake. I will cook for you if you can get away."

Draven couldn't even remember the last time that he had spent time with someone away from the palace. Everyone always wanted to be in the luxury, to be served, to feel important. He was intrigued.

"Okay," he agreed, this time reaching to smooth back the stray pieces of hair that had fallen from her braid. The strands were silky against his fingertips.

"Yeah?" Lynetta gave an excited laugh. "I live quite aways out, and my house is nothing like yours, and-"

He hushed the eager girl. "I am happy to get away, and excited to get to know you more."

"Me, too. You can meet my chickens, and Storm. I also have a dog."

Draven was completely smitten. She was beyond adorable. He just hoped he was doing the right thing because he still had his doubts.

They agreed on a day and time before Lynetta had to go back to work. Draven had a guard follow her back.

He would not deny the giddy feeling that wound in his gut. Even if this went to shit like he was fully prepared for, no one had ever interested him like Lynetta. He could play into the fantasy for a little while.

Orion found him just a few minutes later.

"Sir, I sent those budget drafts you created to the Royal Council. They said they would come to a conclusion by next Thursdays meeting."

"Good."

"The next brunch is just a few weeks away, and the event comittee wants your approval for all of the details."

"Fine. Schedule them a meeting. Keep my schedule clear for Saturday. I'm taking a day. "

"Of course, Your Highness."

Orion turned to walk away, but Draven stopped him.

"Orion, what do girls like?" he asked curiously. "Aside from the typical expensive things like jewelry." He got the feeling that that would not impress Lynetta.

Orion paused, shuffling his papers and hugging him to his chest. "Flowers are out of season. Maybe something for their favorite hobby, like a book or some yarn. Jewelry doesn't have to be expensive. There are lots of vendors at the market who sell handmade jewelry that's threaded or beaded instead of covered in jewels."

Draven nodded, "Thank you."

"You're welcome, My King."