Chapter 7

"I don't know how you don't get bored every day," Lynetta said, looking up from her book. She was laying sideways in an oversized chair in Draven's office, her legs hanging over the arm. "Of course I know you work long hours, but what do you do after you're done?"

Draven shrugged, staying focused on his task, which was quite difficult when he had a pretty girl watching him.

"I enjoy spending time with Frost," he said. That sounded a bit lame so he tried to think of something to add to it, but he couldn't.

Lynetta smiled, "That's nice. I love spending time with Storm."

"I like to garden in the spring and summer," he added. That was about all he could think of.

"Really?" She straightened in her seat. "That's perfect because I don't have the slightest green thumb and I struggle to take care of my gardens. My mom planted these massive rose gardens when I was a child, and I know I am not doing a great job."

"I love roses," Draven said, pushing himself away from his desk. "Come here. Let me show you something."

He pulled off his suit jacket, rolling up his sleeves.

"What are you doing?" she gave a gentle, unsure laugh as she came around to his side.

He held out his arm, revealing a small, skinny rose inked on the outer edge of his wrist.

"I got this when my mom passed," Draven said.

She gently traced the ink with just a brush of her fingertips. "I like it. It's a very simple way of honoring her."

Draven watched her hand as it ghosted over his skin. He liked this angle, having to look up at her. There was something very intimate about it, or maybe it was because he felt like he could confide in her in every way possible.

He reached up to brush the stray pieces of her braid out of her face.

"You are beautiful, Lynetta," he said.

Her cheeks warmed under his touch, and she nuzzled his palm.

He gestured her closer, until his lips could meet hers. She made a soft noise, reaching up to tangle her fingers in his hair.

He moved his hands to her hips, lowering her onto his lap. He loved the feel of her lips, of her soft body against his.

She pulled back. "Draven," she called, but he chased her lips, not releasing her. She giggled, his stubble tickling her. "I have to go back to work."

He trailed down her neck, and she arched to give him more access. She released a breathy sigh.

"I wish you did not have to go," he rumbled.

"Well, it is your fault. The second brunch is Sunday and George and I are in full preparation mode."

"Damn cinnamon rolls," he sighed, giving her one last hard kiss. He considered asking her to go with him to the brunch, as his date, but he wasn't sure if it was too soon.

He couldn't believe it had been a month since he had met Lynetta. He was a fucking mess. He was falling in love with her. She was kind and sweet, she loved him as Draven, not King Draven.

"Luckily, we're in your kitchen, so I can sneak away like this during my breaks." She smiled that stunning smile, and he released her before he didn't let her leave.

Draven walked her to the kitchen. "I know you will be tired, and you have to work tomorrow, but you are welcome to stay to have dinner with me when you finish."

"I think we will be pulling a late one here," Lynetta said. "But I won't leave without saying goodbye."

"Good," Draven answered, pleased. He kissed her cheek. "Have a good day."

She wished him the same, and Draven went to search for Orion.

"Your budget draft that got approved goes into affect Monday," Orion told him. "The Royal Council wanted you to consider a speech to be made at the brunch Sunday."

"No," Draven frowned. He didn't enjoy putting his good deeds in the spotlight. That was bragging.

"I told them no on your behalf, My King, but I am not sure they are convinced."

"Thank you for trying, Orion."

Orion hesitated, and Draven looked at him.

"Is there something wrong?"

"That girl you've been seeing. Are you sure you don't want me to look into her for you?" He spoke softly, respectfully. 

Draven did not sense anything other than genuine concern from his advisor, and an anxious feeling started to wound in his gut.

"Do you know something about her?"

"No, no, Your Highness. I just - I know you really like her, and I am just worried for you. That's all, I promise."

Draven eased. He had always been quite harsh to Orion, but he respected him and his opinions greatly. Draven never realized that Orion was someone he could depend on.

Orion was older, and new to the job. That's why Draven was so difficult on him. He had many advisors in the past who didn't contribute a thing, but having Orion around had made his life a lot easier.

"I appreciate your concern, but I trust the girl I am seeing fully. I would not wish to invade on her privacy."

Orion nodded, and Draven dismissed him.

When he first met Lynetta, he was certain she was going to use him, but it had been a month now. He felt like he knew her, knew her intentions. She didn't seem to desire the spotlight, the title, or even money. His girl worked two jobs, and took care of an estate without even complaining to him about it.

There was no reason he should feel any sort of doubt, yet it still lingered.