Chapter 4

Chapter 4

It was a little after one when Allison pulled into the parking lot of Martin Private Practice. Grabbing her hand bag, she hurriedly locked her car and headed into the building. Traffic had been crazy on the roads, something she hadn't quite expected, the heat doing nothing to improve her mood either, and when she walked into the reception area she could see why Jared had needed her help.

The cool interior of the reception area hit Allison full blast, immediately cooling her heated skin. That was the one thing about living in LA, the weather could be cool one minute and unbearable hot the next.

The reception area was packed. Mother's sat with their children trying their best to sooth them through their illnesses, while a middle aged man sat not too far off from the door, blowing his Rudolf-red-nose into his handkerchief.

Allison smiled as she approached the receptionist, Martha, where she sat manning the desk. Martha was good into her forties, but still managed to look great. Yoga, she had once said when Allison asked what her secret was.

"Good afternoon, Martha." Allison greeted the woman with a smile.

"Good afternoon, Allison. Sorry you had to come in on your day off." Martha genuinely looked sorry, there was nothing fake about her, "But as you can see we need your help." She gestured to the busy waiting room.

"That I see." Allison surveyed the room, "Full house. I best be getting started."

"Good idea. At this rate we'll never get home." Martha said, mournfully.

Allison headed towards the staff room, wanting to put her bag in her locker and get a cup of coffee before the long day started. Pushing open the door, she didn't see the figure coming out of the staff room before she bumped into them.

"Oh, Dr. Martin. So sorry I didn't see you." Allison apologised, blushing slightly at her clumsiness.

Jared smiled, which sent Allison's heart rate spiking, "No, it was my fault. I shouldn't be reading and walking at the same time. And please, I've asked you repeatedly to call me Jared. My father is Dr. Martin. Unless my age is already starting to show."

Allison laughed at that. Jared was far from old looking, if anything he was real handsome. At thirty two, Jared Martin was a permanent doctor in the private practice that his father, Hank Martin, had started over thirty-six years ago. It was Hank's intentions to one day leave this business to his sons, but Harry Martin, Jared's older brother, had ideas of his own, while Jared - from Allison's understanding - wanted nothing more than to be able to work side by side with his father.

Allison had to admit that she found Jared's need to help others very attractive. He had finished his internship at a hospital in New York and had then planned to join his father's practice. But Hank had wanted him to get more life experience before joining the family business. Jared had worked for a few months at a local hospital, but then had decided that he was needed elsewhere in the world and had moved to Africa for two years. On returning home, Dr. Martin had welcomed his son with open arms to the practice.

Dr. Martin had once told Allison how proud he was of his son. But Allison didn't need him to tell her that, she could already see in the older man's blue eyes that he was proud of Jared. And Allison could understand why. She and Jared may just be co-workers and friends - to an extent - but she too was proud of what he had achieved.