Chapter 7

CHAPTER 7

Once she ended her call with Eric, Allison immediately called Jennifer and asked if she could take Chloe for a few hours. Jen had happily agreed, saying that she desperately wanted her and Eric to work things out.

Once she and Chloe had breakfast, and they both were dressed and ready to go, Allison dropped Chloe off at Paul and Jen’s place and then, with a good luck hug from both Paul and Jen, she headed for the coffee shop Eric mentioned. They figured a public place would be the best place to meet, knowing they’d have to keep there anger in check then.

Allison was in a fit of nerves when she arrived at the coffee shop. She didn’t know what to expect from this. Was this just Eric plotting or was he being genuine in his appeal for a truce between them? Taking a deep breath, Allison desperately hoped it was the latter. She got out of her car and found Eric sitting in a corner booth that seemed more private then the other tables in the café. He had a far off look, his mind clearly wasn’t here and he seemed to jump at the sound of his name.

“Eric?”

He looked up at Allison and then stood, motioning for the waitress, and sat down once Allison was seated. Always the gentlemen, Allison thought.

“Do you want anything to eat? I can order us breakfast.”

“Err – no thank you. I ate with Chloe before I dropped her off at Jen’s.” she said quietly, watching closely for his reaction.

He seemed to be calmer and his anger didn’t spike or anything at the mention of Chloe, so she guessed it was safe.

“But I will take a coffee.” She smiled at the waitress who had just approached their table.

“And for you, sir?’ the waitress asked.

“Just a refill for me, thank you.”

The waitress turned and went off to get their orders.

“Sorry, I forgot you’d obviously eat with Chloe.” He said not meeting her gaze. He didn’t want her to see how he wished he too could have breakfast with their kid.

“Aren’t you going to have anything? I don’t mind.”

“No, I’m not hungry.” He stated.

The waitress came back then with their steaming cups of coffee. Once she departed the silence only grew between them, neither wanting to be the first to start.

But Eric was the first to speak up and break the silence, “I’m sorry about last night.”

Allison looked at him then, shocked by his words, “You’re sorry? But what do you have to be sorry about? I’m the one who should be apologising.”

“True, but I behaved badly and said some things that weren’t true. If I hurt you in anyway, I am sorry.” He sounded remorseful and Allison couldn’t help but accept his apology.

“It’s okay, in fact, I imagined you behaving far worse than what you did.” She admitted, “But you had every right to be as angry as you were.”

He nodded his head, “I still don’t get it. Why? Why would you do that to her? I get me, but she didn’t deserve this. Did she ever ask about me?”

Allison took a drink of her hot coffee, the warm liquid slide down her throat, bringing her to life.

“She asked, quiet a few times actually. I always found a way to avoid answering her.” She flushed at the truth, “I knew one day I would have to tell her, but I just wanted to protect her from the truth.”