Chapter Thirty One

Ruben

When I leave Christina's office, I go to Kirby's.

"Oh God, Rúben. Could you have been more obvious before?"

"Sorry", I say. "We are running out of time and I panicked. Do you have everything ready?"

"I do. You only need to pay for it now".

"Ok, great. You think she'll like it, right?", I ask her worried about my choice.

"She'll love it!"

It's Christina's birthday next week. She told me about how she'll do a little party on Friday but I want to do something else for her. Something that is just for the two of us.

During the next few days, Kirby and I keep on planning and we are almost caught about 10 times. We really need to work on our ninja skills.

But then, the day before the party arrives and I have everything ready.

When we leave in the morning, I tell Christina to go to the car while I go back for something I forgot. I quickly put the boxes on the bed, and leave to take us both to work.

Christina

"Are you going to tell me what you and Rúben are planning?", I ask Kirby once again. "If it's something for my birthday, just don't. I don't like surprises."

"It's nothing. Stop asking".

I frown at her. "You are lucky I trust you both enough to not think you are having an affair".

That makes her laugh so hard she almost falls from the chair.

After work, Rúben and I go back home and I can see him fidgeting.

"You ok?", I ask.

"Yeah, I just want to get home".

"Me too. We could order some food and watch a movie".

"Sure", he says, not sounding very sure about it.

Finally, we get to the apartment and I go to the room to get changed. But then I see three boxes on the bed. When I get close and see the name Prada written on them, my eyes open wide.

"Rúben?", I call, but when I turn around, I see he was already at the door, looking at my reaction.

"Take out and movie sounds good but what about going to the best restaurant in the city?", he says approaching me and holding my face with both hands. "Got you an outfit too. Want to check if you like it? It's ok if you don't".

I bit my lip and turn to the boxes. I open the big one first to find one of the most beautiful dresses I've ever seen. The baby blue colour is stunning, and the silk fabric feels so soft and delicate. It's elegant enough for a date, but I can also see myself wearing it often.

"This is for me?", I say.

"It is", says Rúben, wrapping his arms around me from behind. "Do you like it? When I saw it, I could already picture you wearing it and didn't bother looking for another one".

"Like it?...I love it", I say, turning to kiss him. "Thank you. You didn't have to".

"No need to thank me. Open the rest of the boxes".

On the next one, I find matching shoes for the dress. And in the final one, there is a small handbag, the lilac colour of it matches the rest of the outfit completely.

"I only picked the dress. The lady at the store and Kirby helped with the accessories and sizes".

I laugh. "So that's what you two were doing".

He gives me a sheepish smile.

"How about I leave you to get ready and then you give me a big reveal? I got my stuff in the guest room already, I can get ready there".

"Sounds good", I say, kissing him deeply before letting him leave.

Before I start getting dressed, I sent a quick message to Kirby thanking her for helping Rúben. She answers with a "happy you like it. Send me a photo before you leave. You're going to look stunning!"

Once I have the dress on, I look in the mirror and don't even recognize myself. I decide to go for a very simple makeup look. I never liked wearing much anyway, but I feel like this outfit calls for something natural. I leave my hair down and just curl some pieces that were not looking so great after having my hair in a ponytail for work.

I put the shoes on and grab the bag I already filled with some of my things and leave the room to find Rúben.

When I see him, I can't help but stare. He's wearing a black suit with a crisp white shirt. No tie and the two top buttons are not done. He looks like either a top model or a prince. Or both.

"Wow! You look even better than I imagined!", he says, walking towards me.

"I'm not even going to try and put into words how you look in that suit. Jesus Dias!", I say, feeling a little hot.

He just laughs at my expression. "No one will even look at me twice once they see you tonight", he whispers in my ear. "Should we go? Because if we keep staring at each other, we'll end up never leaving".

That doesn't sound like the worst plan.

"Right", I say. "Let's go. But first we need to take a photo. For Kirby".

We take a photo of the two of us for Kirby and our parents. They all overreact, as expected. And then Rúben takes a couple of photos of me so I can put them on my IG. We still haven't posted anything about us there, not wanting the exterior attention it would get. But in moments like this, I miss being able to just show him off.

The restaurant Rúben chose is...incredible. I've never been anywhere like this. I feel out of place at first, but when we sit at our table, it all goes away. I only notice Rúben here anyways. It's always like that when we are together.

We just eat, talk and laugh the whole time. He even has a tiny bit of wine so he can make a toast with me.

"Thank you", I tell Rúben when we get home.

"You're welcome. Did you have a good time?"

"The best", I say, looking into his beautiful eyes. "I'm so lucky to have you".

"No, I'm the lucky one".