Chapter 4

"Hey, guys! I survived my first week of school! Woohoo!"

I insert a sound effect of applause, then review the video again. I've been editing it the whole weekend, making sure to include my best shots from registration day and freshmen orientation.

"These are some of my blockmates, Chinie and Mickey. Say hi, guys." I hear the sound of my own voice as the camera pans across the room. Suddenly, Mickey grabs it, puts an arm around me, and points the camera toward both of us.

"Yup, Mickey here, Claring's best blockmate. So excited to be part of Claring's vlog. Expect more videos of me soon!" He bursts into laughter and my face scrunches up as he stretches his arm and holds the camera up high. The screen shakes wildly. All I see are blurred shots of the ceiling, but I hear my voice screaming at Mickey to give the camera back.

"Okay, definitely cutting that part out of the video..." I mumble as I fiddle with the editing controls on my laptop.

A few minutes later, the door swings open and Mommy enters the room. "Clara Emilia Liwanag, why are you still awake? Matudtud na ka! You better sleep soon because you need to catch the bus to Manila tomorrow."

"Mommy, you scared me!" I whip my headphones away from my ears and look up at my mom, who is standing over me.

"Did you hear me? You need to wake up extra early tomorrow. Mang Jhun can't drive you all the way to Manila this time because he has to run errands for us."

"Yes, Mommy. I'm almost done with my video. Just a few more tweaks... wanna see?"

"Fine. Let's see what you've been up to. You've barely spoken to me and your dad this weekend because you've been so busy working on it. Wait, let me call him." Mommy steps out of the room and comes back a few minutes later with Daddy in tow.

"Ooh, is the video ready? I'm excited to see the highlights of your first week in college." Daddy leans over my shoulder and stares at the screen as I hook the speakers up to my laptop.

"Okay, here goes." I press the play button and a catchy tune fills the air. Then, my face pops up on screen, alternating with clips of different events that happened the past week.

"Jusme, this is making me dizzy! Can't you hold the camera steady?" My mom shakes her head.

Meanwhile, Daddy bobs his head to the music. "I love it! It's like a music video," he says. Panda, who is sitting on my bed, barks in agreement.

After the shots in school, the video switches to some clips inside our apartment. "And this is the room I share with my gorgeous cousin, Ate Val. Uh, she told me to say that." My voice drops to a stage whisper as the camera lands on Val, who waves her arms and flashes her biggest smile.

"Yup, that's me, the gorgeous and wise older cousin," she says.

"Classes are starting next week. Wish me luck and stay tuned for my next video!" The vlog ends after I say goodbye and the credits roll.

"Good job, anak. Those are some cool graphics you added. You're getting good at this," Daddy says, patting me on the back.

"You should remove that last shot in your apartment. It's not safe!" Mommy shakes her head and crosses her arms. "There are a lot of predators online."

"Relax, Mommy, it's not like I revealed the address or anything." And it's not like anyone's going to see this. Not yet anyway. Not until I muster the courage to change my YouTube channel from private to public.

"All right then, just go to sleep already. Good night, Clara."

"Night, Mommy. Night, Daddy." I kiss them both and wait for them to walk out. As soon as I hear the door close to their room next door, I put my headphones back on and return to my video. Okay, just a few more edits...