Chapter 5

After class, I make my way to Kalayaan building, where all the college organizations are located. It's time to implement Step Four of my grand plan: Join the college debate team and become a top debater, just like my idol, Cherry Ronillo.

Colorful booths line every square inch of the building's ground floor. The orgs are holding a recruitment event this week, and they clearly pulled out all the stops to entice new members to join. One club is holding a cooking demo and handing out baked goods. Another club is performing a skit, with its actors wearing elaborate makeup and costumes. Suddenly, loud music blasts from the speakers and a group of people runs to the middle of the room and starts busting out some dance moves.

I try not to get distracted by all the sights and sounds, and just focus on my purpose-I need to find the JMU Debate Society. I scan through the booths first, then head toward the staircase where I see a sign that says, "More orgs this way!" I climb up the stairs and find people standing outside their org rooms, handing out flyers and encouraging people to come in.

I walk by each room, respectfully declining their invitations while trying to figure out which one belongs to the JMU Debate Society. I finally find the right room at the end of the hallway, but there's no one outside.

"Hello?" I knock a few times, then peek into the slightly open doorway. "I'd like to try out for the debate team."

A guy and a girl, who are in the middle of a heated discussion, turn their heads toward me but don't say anything. One student is reading something on his phone, while another stares intently at his computer, oblivious to all the noise outside. Finally, a girl with a hawk-like gaze opens the door and hands me a sign-up sheet.

"Sign your name here. Tryouts are on Friday at 4:30."

"Are there any guidelines? What do I need to prepare?" I hand her back the sign-up sheet after writing my name on it.

"Prepare a speech about any relevant issue today. Be ready to debate." She looks at me like I'm the most clueless freshman in the school.

"Any topic?"

"That's what I said. You can check our website for more details." Without waiting for an answer, she whips around and goes back into the room. "Close the door on your way out."

Crap... I have less than a week to prepare. What am I supposed to talk about? I leave the room and start walking down the hallway with my head bowed when I run into someone.

"Ouch!"

"I'm so sorry!" I look up and catch a glimpse of pink streaks. "Elise, hi!"

"Hi, Clara!" She smiles warmly. "What are you doing here? Did you sign up for any orgs?"

"Yes, the Debate Society."

"No way! I'm on my way there too."

"Oh? Well, good luck with that. The people there seem really grouchy."

"Nah, they're probably just busy. They're actually very nice. I've met some of them during our debate tournaments back in high school."

"You were a debater in high school?"

"Yup. I was president of the debate club. Some of our alumni are members of the JMU team and they come back to train us once in a while," she says with pride.

"Wow... good for you." A hint of jealousy creeps into my voice. We didn't have a debate team back in high school so I have no experience. All I know is that to be as eloquent as reporter Cherry Ronillo, I need to join the debate team.

"Anyway, I have to go. See you in class," Elise says with a small wave.

"Bye!" I wave back, watching her walk toward the debate room.