40.

While walking along the scaffolding, Mi-jin and I duck a few times at windows when we hear snarling close to us.

"So, what did you want to talk about?" She asks me as we continue checking for a way down.

"I wanted to talk about...Joon-yeong. And before you say anything I have to tell you it's not your fault."

She scoffs, but I can hear sadness in her voice.

"Didn't you hear what Dae-su said?"

"Dae-su was an idiot. Joon-yeong didn't just jump over the barrier because he didn't like you."

She doesn't say anything, but stops, turning around to hear the rest.

"Didn't you see him get bit? He jumped over because he wasn't a coward like Mr. Kang (the sports teacher for those who don't remember that weirdo). He wanted to save us and not turn into a zombie being inside the barrier."

Her eyes start watering.

"Yeah. But he got bitten trying to help me" She whispers, looking at her shoes.

"I know how you feel. I left the group, feeling as if it was my fault Joon-yeong died, because I didn't get the zombie off of him fast enough. But now I slowly realize it wasn't my or your fault."

"Maybe your right. But I don't think I'll stop feeling guilty" She tells me.

"I won't stop too. I even feel guilty about Gwi-nam kissing me, because I think it's my fault."

"I'm sorry about that bastard, by the way" She tells me, rubbing my arm in a comforting manner.

"Thanks. But still. We can't always look back now. And we really shouldn't in a mess like this. So please. Stop thinking about it."

"But it's so hard" She whispers, a tear rolling down her cheek.

"I know. I keep thinking about him too, and I know he's been on your mind from the moment he jumped over that barrier."

She just nods, and I quickly pull her into a hug.

"Lighten up a bit, will you? I like the cool, unbothered Mi-jin more than the sad Mi-jin."

She smiles lightly, before furrowing her brows.

"You said something about Mr. Kang. What happened to him?"

I then realize she wasn't in the classroom with us at that time.

"Oh. That's a long story" I chuckle, thinking about me hitting the back of his head with a backpack after he was being such an idiot.

"Well, tell me about it. We still need to find a way down"

***

After having met Ha-ri halfway around the building, the three of us return to the others, knowing we have to tell them the situation.

I walk behind Mi-jin, in front of Ha-ri as we walk along the scaffolding.

As Mi-jin starts to tell them what we found, I turn to Su-hyeok.

"You okay?" He asks me.

I nod and smile, before turning back to the others.

"...I really think that that's the only way out" Wu-jin says.

Mi-jin quickly shakes her head.

"No. It drops into that basement on that side, and there are exposed steel bars. No way we can jump."

Ha-ri nods to her left side.

"That side faces the school, so there's no point trying it."

I nod.