FIFTEEN

Word Count: 1737

~Tove

A week eventually passes, and once Keo returns, he takes me away to another territory for training immediately.

"Seven. Really?" I question, turning around in place.

He did tell me to put on a thick coat and boots. It's the only real thing he's said to me since returning. And now, we are in the icy tundra that is Territory Seven.

At this point I'm convinced Keo is trying to find the most creative way to kill me.

"The cold may help you concentrate," he notes, shuffling through the snow as he looks over the bleak environment.

I want to ask him about the other week. He acted so strangely, but by the distant look in his eyes, he isn't in the mood to explain himself.

I've spent the entire week simmering in my own thoughts and theories about that night.

"This is ridiculous," I mutter, feeling the bitter chill of the icy air sting my cheeks.

"No one shall bother us here. No Noble's, especially," Keo explains.

I laugh breathily. There is no form of life for miles - just an endless expanse of snow and ice. Why anyone decided to settle in this Territory is beyond me.

"I still don't understand what your expect me to do."

He looks over me, as if he is deciding my potential for success. "This is the final test before I introduce another layer to this."

I sigh, my breath clouding in front of me. This feels like there is no end to it.

"Are you going to tell me why I am ultimately needed by you?" I ask sardonically, entirely aware that he isn't going to reveal the true motivation until he can trust me.

Which will be never, knowing him.

"Have I not told you?" He tilts his head to the side. "You're my plaything until I find someone with working powers."

I roll my eyes, kicking at a clump of snow in front of me. "Bastard. I can't stand you."

"Prove to me you're worth investing in, and you won't need to worry about the state of your life beyond this work you are doing for me," Keo exclaims, tucking his hands behind his back.

"I don't need to prove anything to you," I growl back at him, my cold fingers rolling up into fists.

He frowns a little. "Cool down, Tove."

I step forward, wishing my words bothered him as much as his do me. Nothing gets to him, nothing irritates him. His masterful ability at controlling his emotions would be admirable, if he didn't use it as a weapon against me.

"How can I, when every word out of your mouth is meant to irritate me?" I snap.

Keo taps his chin, as if considering everything he has said that has made me angry.

"You are very much capable of doing this, you just need to get out of your head. And as much as I would enjoy your presence in my bed, your value to me goes far beyond that."

My jaw clenches. It's his empty flirting that gets to me the most. He does it so effortlessly it makes me wonder who else has been subjected to this.

I rest my hand over my chest, plastering on the fakest smile I can muster. "I'm so honoured."

His smile vanishes. The banter gathered up from a week of being apart has officially came out, and now, he is ready to start the training.

"This time, I want you to transport me."