Chapter 12: Martha's Gift

——————————🦇——————————

Dracula approached Maven's bedroom door, in the hopes of talking to him.

"Oh look, here he comes. Count Crock-ula. I'm just glad my eyes are stitched up, cause I don't even want to..."

Dracula used his magic to stitch her mouth shut as well, before he knocked on Maven's door.

"Maven, son, are you in there?"

Dracula opened the door to see no one inside.

"Maven? Maven?" He called.

He noticed the window was open, and immediately shifted into a bat and flew out the window.

"Maven? Maven where are you?" He panicked.

He flew high up into the air looking for him.

"Maven!"

Dracula paused when he saw a figure sitting on the window of the hotel with their knees to their chest. He sighed with relief and flew down to him.

He changed back, and looked sadly at his son. He walked over to him and sat down beside him.

It was silent for a moment before Maven spoke.

"Dad, can you do me a favor?" He asked.

"Yes, yes, of course, son, anything." Dracula promised.

"Will you erase my mind?"

Dracula looked at him in shock. "No, no, no, no. No, I won't do that. There's too much I want you to remember."

Maven sighed. "You were right, Dad. The humans hate us."

"Maven, there are so many eligible monsters out there. You're so young to..." Dracula paused when he noticed Maven was holding something. It looked like a book.

"What is it? What are you reading?"

Maven handed him the book.

The cover said, 'True Love: By Mom'

Dracula opened it to the next page.

'For your 118th Birthday'

He flipped to the next page, and there was a picture of two bats flying in the moonlight surrounded by palm trees.

'Two lonely bats crashed in the night.'

The next page showed Martha and Dracula staring lovingly into each other's eyes.

'They felt a Zing. Love at first sight.'

The next page showed Martha and Dracula standing upside down on a palm tree, holding hands.

'They knew right then, they would be husband and wife.'

The next page showed Dracula and Martha cuddling together with a heart drawn around them.