55.

*Not read over b/c no time to spare. Didn't want to break my promise -- see something, say something so I can correct it later*

~

Being brave isn't the absence of fear.
Being brave is having that fear but finding a way through it.
(Bear Grylls)

~~~~

"If only we could go a day without you getting hurt."

Hayes grinned, still riding the high of excitement, all childlike and angelic. She stared up at her eldest brother, whom was kneeled before her, responsibly cleaning up her skinned knees with a wet paper towel. "But I'm not hurt."

Badly. She wasn't hurt badly enough to recognize that she was, in fact, injured.

Bloody knees tell tales.

But dead men tell no tales.

Austin pressed his lips in a thin line, giving her such a simple look that the girl had no troubles deciphering it.

Really?

Hayes kicked her feet in the air, straightening her legs, trying to prove to Austin that she was A-Okay. "See? Nothings broken. Now can I go?"

She was eager to join Emerson, Francis, and Drew who were competing for the fastest time in line sprints. Dakota was even out there, and Hayes really wanted to see him race against their brothers. Winner would earn the proper title of The Flash for the rest of the day and bragging rights.

When Austin still didn't budge, focused on folding the dirty paper towel into a square as he looked for a clean spot to use, Hayes turned her head to the side to look at Glen. She was looking for his assistance in this time-sensitive matter.

But Something didn't sit quite right with her once Hayes got a good look at his face. This wasn't Glennard, who'd just tell her to rub some dirt on it and walk it off.

Glen looked a bit pale, as he cuddled her hoodie he was still holding on to against his chest.

That took the fire out from underneath her feet, as she came to the realization that she had been ignoring her brother's uneasiness since they arrived. Too caught up in shying away from Emerson for no reason while Glen was stuck on his own dealings.

Forgetting about getting up, Hayes settled back on the bench where she would not move until Glen did. She had originally taken up refuge in the dugout, needing a recovery break from all the baseball excitement. But then Austin saw her bleeding knees and the rest was history. And now, Glen needed her.

Austin had initially wondered why in the world she was wearing her running shorts per usual when she had two thick sweatshirts on, but then he remembered his little sister was an odd ball with certain things.

Hayes watched Austin continue to wipe her knees free of clay and dirt before she felt her stomach rumble internally.

Feed meeeeee.

Her lips took a downward turn, unable to think about anything but food now. For breakfast, She had somehow gotten away with only eating a piece of chocolate chip waffle that she stole off Francis' plate when he wasn't looking and the atrocious glass of milk that Austin still made her drink each morning.

"What's the frown for?" Austin questioned, as he crossed his arms, resting his forearms on his knee.

Hayes placed her hands on his broad shoulders, leaning forward so that her forehead nearly banged against his. "I'm hungry."