45.

Callum was awakened by the ringing of his phone. He rubbed his eyelids sleepily and reached over to the bedside table to take the call.

"Callum George? I'm calling about Daniel Lightwood. He's taken a serious turn for the worse overnight, we don't know the reason yet, but you should be here by now."

"What's wrong?" He asked.

Callum's heart literally skipped a few beats before he realized the situation and began to dress in a flash.

Within five minutes he was on his way to the hospital where he had been running to all along . He had never been so scared in his life, ever.

He just avoided the people in the hallway and ignored the voices that tried to stop him. All he could hear was his heavy breathing and the rapid beating of his heart

. He stopped at the door that led to Daniel's room and peered in through the small glass window. Several men in lab coats and masks were running around the boy on the bed. His eyes were closed, he was pale and his lips were chapped. The machine next to him beeped furiously and the doctors were increasingly panicked.

Callum closed his eyes. He couldn't look at him and every muscle in his body was suddenly so heavy he couldn't even keep his eyelids open. He couldn't hear any other sounds around him, but he did hear one.

He heard that long, continuous beeping.