51.

Callum sat on a park bench and watched the world around him. People were carrying bags full of Christmas presents, as they always do. This year it even snowed, which completely enchanted him. He loved the white, glowing flakes falling from the heavens. He tilted his head back and let the snow fall on his face. He felt so free at least for a moment, he had to close his eyes to really enjoy the moment.

,,Good day. My name is Oliver."

He was interrupted by a voice. A low, high pitched voice that could only belong to a child. So Callum raised his head to him and smiled at him.

,,Hi. I'm Callum. What are you doing here, alone?"

The boy in front of him threw his shoulders back and smiled brightly.

"My older brother is out there somewhere."

He pointed in the direction of the soccer field with his little hand. Blonde's heart stopped at the sight of the stadium. It's been a year now, but she still thinks about him. He remembered him right now, in this very moment, right in front of the little boy who didn't understand his broken look on the football field.

"Y-your brother plays football?"

"Yeah. Just for fun. Won't you build a snowman with me? My brother never wants to."

Callum tore his attention away from the field to focus on the boy with the soft, blonde hair. He made the biggest ball that came under the snowman. Oliver created the middle and finally the smallest orb, like a halva, while the brunet found rhinestones for eyes and buttons.

"Why are you here alone? Don't you have parents here? Or friends?"

The blond asked as he stuck a small twig in, like their snowman's nose.

"I like being alone, you know?"

"Oh, I must have interrupted you, see? I'm sorry. I just didn't have anyone to play with. They laugh at me at school, and I've only been there six months. I don't have any friends here, I only hang out with my brother, who ignores me anyway, you are."

Callum felt a stab at his heart. The boy seemed like a younger version of himself. He felt just as alone in everything, felt as unwanted as the blue-eyed boy had once been. Just like the blue-eyed boy now.

"Are you crying? Are you in pain?"

Oliver asked cautiously, trying to look into his eyes. Callum moved away so the boy wouldn't see the tears in his eyes.

"Heart."

The blond boy whispered. His heart hurt a lot, but he didn't think young Oliver could understand.

"Do you have some kind of heart condition? Shouldn't I call an ambulance? We had a lecture on first aid at school the other day. Are you sure you didn't faint? I'd have to... Damn it, what was that? Call an ambulance and then put your head back on? God, I hope you don't have a heart attack. Or did you?"

He started to get scared and talk really fast, but Callum just started laughing.

"That's good, Oliver. I don't have any heart disease. it hurts from love, you know? It's broken. In a million pieces."

He tried not to cry in front of the child, his eyes beginning to redden.

"Then ask Santa for a new heart, one that won't be broken."

Callum smiled at him. He was so innocent, cute, young and unspoiled. He had his whole life ahead of him. He had high school ahead of him, maybe even grammar school, falling in love, adulthood, family, work... And Callum lost it all the day Daniel left.

The blond boy reached into his pocket and pulled out a small, wilted rose.

"I was going to give it to someone else, but I'm giving it to you. Take good care of it, will you? It may be withered, but it's still a rose. The petals with the thorns and leaves still form a flower. Even if you never bloom again, it will always exist."

And so I looked at it. Oliver took the rose in his hands. He smiled as he did so and hugged Callum tightly. He didn't expect it, but returned the boy's hug gently.

"Merry Christmas, Callum."

"Merry Christmas, Oliver."

A little boy came running onto the football field, a rose in his hand. He ran up to a tall redhead who lifted him high in the air and gave him a kiss on the cheek. It must have been the boy he once played football with against the green-eyed smoker. He remembered him.

"Merry Christmas, Daniel."

He whispered into the void and walked slowly, alone, home...

The end

Well the longest chapter and also the last thank you so much for all the reads, stars and comments. My plan was for Callum to die first and Daniel to live but it turned out the way it did. I hope you enjoyed the book and will read my other books that I will be writing <3