Part 2 - The Way Back

Note: my wonderful readers :) thank you so much for 300+ reads! I did not expect that to happen and I thank yall so much! I have been very busy lately and have limited device time! (AKA my laptop is broken and I'm using my brother's, my sister's phone and my mom's phone.) I thought this book would make no noise, but you guys really seem to enjoy it! Thank you all the readers, conmenters and star-ers 🤗ALSO I ACCIDENTALLY PUBLISHED THIS OOPS!

. . .

The silence when you and Elizabeth packed was killing. You knew she was devastated by the death of her father and burdened by the fact that she is now the Queen of a country she isn't even in (and other realms). But with her not speaking about it, you decided it was best for you not to either.

You both gathered all of your things quickly, not bothering to tidy up. This was very unlike her, as Elizabeth always wanted to make sure things were clean, especially after staying somewhere, but the both of you silently knew someone would do it for you.

There wasn't much to pack up. A few clothes, some small jewelry pieces, and shoes. It wasn't long until the two of you were done, suitcases and bags in hand.

She was ready before you, already standing in front of the door, gazing out of the window. She didn't even turn to look at you, instead opening the door and started to walk out.

Elizabeth had always been like that. Every time something was bothering her, she would become distant and emotionally push herself away from people. Sometimes it would go on for months.

You silently prayed that this wouldn't happen and instead this situation make you even closer, although you knew that would never happen.

You caught up with her quickly, breaking yourself out of your head. You next to each other, making your way to the car.

There was the driver, Edward, holding the door open for the both of you. He bowed, "your majesty." he said as Elizabeth got in. "Your highness." He said as you followed behind her.

He took your belongings and made his way to the back of the car.

You imagined what will be different now, you no longer the wife of the heir, but the Queen herself. Would people treat you differently? Would It be better or worse? The wife of the Queen which would bring more respect, right? Or more hatred, considering that you were a bit of an outsider?

The sound of the trunk slamming down startled you, pushing you out of your head. You held back a sigh and blew the air from your nose instead.

Edward got in the car and quickly started to drive. Even though you two will get there, as soon as possible is preferred.

But not really the both of you. If you were slow, they probably wouldn't hesitate to leave you here. Lilli wouldn't leave without you though. Would she? If she were, you would understand but that would make you feel-

"I am so sorry for your lost ma'am." Edward spoke quietly, once again interrupting your thoughts. You silently thanked him for not letting them swallow you. Not now.

"Thank you." Elizabeth responded, but it didn't sound very genuine. It's not that she didn't appreciate his condolences, but just wanted to keep being silent.

But she has a duty to do, and a role to play. For she is the Queen now.

You were wondering what she was thinking. Elizabeth always hid from everyone once things got ruff for her, caving in and leaving you out.

This hs caused you many arguments, but you learned to accept that's just how Elizabeth was. All you could do is wait until she's better.

You gazed out the window.

. . .

The car arrived at the airport and Edward quickly got out to open the doors for you and Elizabeth. Other people, some you knew, some you didn't, gathered near the car all in black, hats by their sides.

In mourning.

Elizabeth briefly spoke to some of the people, and you stood by, waiting for her to be done so you could leave already.

When she was done, you followed behind her walking up the steps of the plane, people carrying your things not too far behind.

Goodbye Kenya you thought. You didn't have to hide the sadness anymore, for it was all around you.

____

The plane ride was mostly silent. No one spoke of Elizabeth's new duties, as it would be offensive to do so, but everyone knew as soon as she stepped back onto British soil, there would never be anything else discussed but that for a long time.

The flight back would be long, so you prepared yourself for the hours. You were hesitant to talk to Elizabeth, as you knew she preferred to be alone in her emotions.

You thought about it and eventually made your way to her seat. You found her starting deeply out the window. Did she even notice your presence? You tapped her on the shoulder. She turned her head around, surprised. She didn't.

"You'll need these, Dear. The flight is long." You said handing her a thick blanket and pillow. "Thank you, I hadn't thought about it," she said as she took them from your hand.

She put the pillow behind her head and draped the blanket over her lap. You sat in the seat beside her.

She went back to her window gazing, and none of you said a word. You didn't want to disturb her and you didn't know if it was right, but you placed your hand upon hers.

She turned her head and glanced at you and then her hand. She sighed and rested her head on your shoulder. You felt a small wet drop on you and heard light sniffling.

She had started to cry. You followed