The StarMaidens Curse - The Brothers

A story about magic, mythology, adventure and love.

            The Brothers—September 30, 2019

"Why did our journey have to bring us to Earth?" The masculine voice rose from the dense cover of the forest. "Countless planets circling countless stars, yet our endless travels bring us to the Scottish borders."

Torin moved through sky-reaching trees. Ochre leaves dangled from tangled branches. His heavy footsteps stamped across the mossy forest floor.

Sable-haired and muscular, Torin's aristocratic features matched his chuckle. He held his head high and walked with a swagger.

"I hope she's ready to be charmed," he said brashly. "I hope even more so that she's pleasing to the eye and worth our trouble coming here."

"Is there to be no peace from your incessant babbling, Torin? We're all eager to find her, but you carry on like a child whining for sweets." Cillian shared his younger brother's looks, but his green eyes bore a warmth and maturity Torin lacked.

Torin turned and cast his older brother a scornful look.

"Aren't you curious to know if she'll match the passion of our women? Or how she'll react when she glimpses our seductive smiles and bodies of gods?"

"Silence, Torin!" a third, more aggressive voice barked.

Fionn moved steadily ahead through the forest. The brothers' eldest bore a stern demeanour and cold, piercing blue eyes.

"Cillian, haven't you learned by now that Torin thrives on his own self-importance and troublemaking?"

"I don't need you to remind me, Fionn," Cillian replied. "Perhaps we should all be silent. Don't you feel the shift in the energy? It's coursing through my flesh like an electrical current." He paused. "She's near. I feel her presence so strongly."

Eerie stillness descended on the forest. The birds fell silent, and the trees watched like sentinels while the skies ominously darkened.

"Can you smell that?" Fionn asked, stopping and sniffing the air like an animal. His eyes narrowed as the water from a gurgling stream nearby rippled. A deluge erupted from the sky. "I sense malevolent energy descending through the atmosphere. Others have been sent for her! They're also near."

The brothers eyed the surrounding trees.

"We don't have much time," Cillian said. "Quickly! Follow the stream through the forest. It leads to a road near the wind farms."

Fionn unsheathed the jewelled sword from his belt and hacked away a branch barring their path. He led his brothers like a platoon commander. "Hurry! We can't let them find her first!"