The star Maidens Curse Chapter 9 - Your True Destiny

Chapter 9  — Your True Destiny

I rose, walked past the French doors and stepped into a palatial room resembling a spa. Tiered spillways fed into a huge circular marble tub flanked by candles and an exotic array of salts and toiletries. I noticed a frosted cubicle reminiscent of a steam room to the side. Wonderful aromas wafted from perfume bottles arrayed on a vast marble counter holding three basins fed by swan-shaped taps. My eyes fell on the oval, gilt-edged mirror above the basins.

Aghast, I could only stare at my dirt-smudged face and swollen, mascara-smudged eyes. My auburn hair hung in a tangled mess past my shoulders, partially concealing my scars. I stared at them, and unpleasant memories swirled in my mind.

I hesitantly touched the mirror, unable to believe I was the bedraggled creature staring back. I turned on the taps and rinsed my face. I ran water into the bath, and once the room was full of steam and the tub was full, I stepped in and sat down. The water felt amazing, soft and delicate against me as I scrubbed myself clean, I washed the grime from my hair and finally, almost regretfully, I stepped back out of the bathtub.

For an awful moment, I thought I would have to put my dirty clothes back on, but I spotted a fluffy white robe and slipped into it.

I brushed the tangles from my hair. An image of Donte suddenly filled my mind, ushering a wave of sorrow. What would he be thinking now? Was he as afraid as I was? I had nothing to remind me of him beyond the photos in my phone that I knew I'd never see again. Fresh tears blurred my vision, but I stopped myself. If I was going to return home, I had to be strong.

I returned to the bedroom to find Seraphina standing by the French doors. She looked at me with a gentle smile and indicated the fresh clothes on the bed. I knew by looking at them they would be the perfect fit, and when I hurried back to the bathroom and slipped them on, I was right.

I returned to the main room. Seraphina was still standing by the French doors, looking out at the view before her.

"Would it make you feel better if I told you there was a way to see your family again?" she asked.

She didn't turn around, and for that, I was glad, as I stood numbly before her, completely unprepared for those words with no idea what to say. Of course, I wanted to see my family again, but what if that somehow dragged them into this mess?

"If your family was reassured that you were alive and no harm would come to you, would you feel less afraid And don't worry, no harm would come to them either. Of that, you have my word," Seraphina asked, finally turning to face me.

At last, a trickle of hope.

"And Donte, Could I see him again, too?" I asked hopefully.

Seraphina paused, then shook her head. It was the tiniest movement, barely perceptible, but it brought a lonely feeling that reminded me that I was a prisoner with no real choices.

"I must be honest with you, Tilly. Don't set your heart on Donte. You'll learn that he was born to be with another."

"That's not possible. I was going to see him this morning, and he'll be frantic with worry by now."

"Trust me, Tilly, Donte isn't for you."

I looked unhappily at her, confused that she could possibly understand what Donte felt for me Or didn't, as the case might be.

"Why would you say that?" I asked, feeling the last tendril of hope slip away. "How could you know this?"

She merely looked at me. I felt my anger flare and then subside as if at her command.