Chapter Nine- Caught in a Cloud of Fear

Nikolai and I run.

Each morning, or each night, we run the streets of New York City.

At first it was only an invite. Maybe he was fearful of leaving me within the confines of the penthouse, or maybe it was something else. I had said yes, slipped on a pair of trainers so old they had collected dust on the soles, and left with him. The next day, as he was leaving, it was me who asked if I could join him. Reluctantly, he agreed. And so it was Nikolai and I, awake before the sun, beating hearts and ruddy cheeks, chasing the pavement before us.

It's now three weeks later and we haven't missed a day. He's before me now, his legs longer, his heart stronger, his endurance greater. He doesn't seem to sweat, to puff, to run out of breath. He's that of a machine, programmed to a twenty four hour day. Eat, run, sleep repeat. And in-between those tasks, he protects me all too well. I'd call him an angel if he weren't so bitterly cold.

Bellowing clouds of steam tumble from within my lungs, dispersing into the frigid morning. The sun just exudes through the sky scrapers, disintegrating into fragments of lost warmth and radiance. It's when my pace slows and my footfalls come to a complete stop that Nikolai pivots too, his ears perked and his eyes eager to see if all is okay. His sight lands on me, my hands holding my frame up on my bent knees and my chest inflating and deflating at a rather rapid speed.

"You're not dying on me, are you, princess?"
Nikolai murmurs, a hint of humour entering his voice. Though, there's a sense of genuine concern residing in there somewhere. I attempt a laugh, but it results in only a puff of sharp air. A bottle is placed before my face, half empty and ice cold. Nikolai tells me to drink it and I do. I do most things he tells me to do. Most.

A slash of light snaps across my eyes. A whip of bright illumination. It lasts only a split second before it's gone, and yet my eyes are pinched shut and my muscles are tensing. My body flinches as if prodded by a flaming rod, recoiling in on itself. A hand finds my shoulder, warm and genuine.

"It's just someones head lights, you're alright."
Nikolai assures me. My eyes ease open and find his. I'm okay, I think. Yes, I freeze when I see flashes of light. And yes my hands sweat when someone looks slightly out of place. Yes unexpected packages create a painfully high heart rate. Yes, the lack of Nikolai's presence causes extreme discomfort and college is a dread to get through. But, I'm okay. I have to be.

Nikolai checks his watch, tapping the screen and inspecting the device.

"Four and a half kilometres- that's your best so far."

He says, a tinge of proudness lacing his words.

"Yeh, that's great- but I feel like I'm going to fucking die."

The words leave my lips in a wheeze, completely drained of all and every piece of energy. Nikolai gives one of his gravelly chuckles, pats my shoulder and waits for me to recover.

...

Nikolai's arm delves into the back seat, returning with my bag in hold. He waits as I fix my skirt, twisting and tugging it into a presentable way. I check my hair in the wing mirror of the black car, swiping a thumb beneath my bottom lip to collect the trail of smudged lipstick. I take the bag, swing it over my shoulder and nudge the door closed. My arms rest above the open window, Nikolai's head ducking slightly so he can see me when he speaks.

"I'll be here when you finish, alright?"
He says. I nod, beginning to turn my back to the vehicle, but my name is called.

"Sofia,"