1.2

10 October 1999 

To:
Dr. Hak Sang-Ook

        Morning Dr. Hak,

        The clinic must be doing really well because I never seem to be able to catch you at home! That's why I've left you this note, I hope you received it well ... by the way, Oct 13 is coming up soon. What do you think about co-hosting a party together?

Your friendly next-next-door neighbor,
Hwang Seongja

To:
Friendly next-next-door neighbor
Hwang Seongja

        Dear Madam Hwang,

        Your note is well-received, thank you.

        What party?

Best regards,
Hak Sang-Ook

To:
Dr. Hak Sang-Ook

        Dear me Dr. Hak, you could have just come in to talk instead of leaving a note ... I tried stopping by your place in the evening but you weren't in again. Are you eating well? My husband says he saw you in the clinic and you seemed to have lost some weight. Anyway I'm leaving a thermos flask of chicken soup and rice at your doorstep. There's also milk for little Tae-geun.

        October 13 - that's your Tae-geun's and my Jaesan's birthday! You can't have forgotten? They're turning three years old now, how time flies ... have you thought about which kindergarten to send Tae-geun to? I suppose you'll send him to Samdo Kindergarten, since that's where Minji used to work ... look at me babbling on about the past. Anyway finish the soup and when you return the flask perhaps we can discuss co-hosting the birthday party together!

Your friendly neighbor,
Hwang Seongja