Chapter 8: Lucy

I open the door to our hotel room, I practically run toward the TV to turn it on. I listen as the lady on the news is standing in front of the courthouse talking about Rosalind Dyer. Tim is standing behind me. He's holding my left hand as he jerks the remote out of my right and turns the TV off.

"They don't know anything, we don't,"

"Yeah," I say with a sigh. I unknowingly lean into Tim who's standing behind me. I can feel our bodies touch but neither of us moves an inch. We're standing against each other for what feels like hours, our hands haven't moved either. We're clinging to one another like we were when he rescued me from the barrel.

"I'm so scared! What if she finds me here?" I blur out as I take a leap and let my head rest against Tim's shoulder, fighting the tears behind my eyes.

"Every single law enforcement agency in Southern Cali is on it. Ok? She won't be out long." He said in his T.O. voice. That made me twitch, I suddenly felt like I was overstepping so I took a step forward.

"You mind if I take the first shower?" I start to walk towards the bathroom without waiting for a response. I didn't see the confused expression on his face as I shut the slide door.

I start undressing quickly, step into the shower and let the heat and pressure of the shower wash my thoughts away.

I put on one of the bathrobes of the hotel. As I walk out of the bathroom, I see Tim sitting on the bed with a room service menu.

"Ohh! Are you getting room service?"

"Uhu... Shure we could order. What are you feeling?"

I looked him in the eyes as he nods back at me.

"OK! Veggie burger and fries it is" he smirks. He calls the hotel and gives them our order.

"Don't you wanna shower?" I ask

He's acting nervous but his voice is steady when he speaks.

"You wanna talk about it now?"

"Talk about what?" I ask in confusion

"Everything that happened these past few days. The airplane bathroom, your apartment, this very hotel room," He says while moving his hands around the room to prove his point.

I'm shocked by his sudden bold move. I also feel so proud of him for letting his feeling known. My lips curl up in a smile.

"What's so funny Chen?!" He's starting to get angry. I can hear it in his tone.

"I'm kinda proud of you for letting your feeling speak up,"

"Yeah well, you thought me that I guess"

"Well well, is that a compliment I hear coming from you Bradford??" I reply playfully.

He doesn't respond, just stares at me.

"Sorry, what were you saying before the compliment?" I ask because I was staring into his eyes too much to fully understand what he meant.

"You know what, Chen. Never mind, I'm just putting myself in the most vulnerable spot I ever put myself in and you don't listen AT ALL!"

"Oh! Sorry! I don't get it. Can we go back a few sentences please?"

"No, I'm not putting myself out there again. It's not happening," I think I can see the wall I worked so hard to unfold get put back up.

I watch as Tim walks toward the bathroom and shuts the door in anger.

I stare at the floor for a second until I see a light trail peek into the room. I look up and follow the light trail with my eyes. I notice the bathroom door is open just an inch but enough for me to see Tim undress. I want to look away so badly, but I can't. It's like my eyes are glued to him. I'm speechless but manage to go to the bed, sit down and look at the paper I've taken into my hands.

I've read the page about 20 times, not knowing what it said though. My mind keeps going back to Tim. I don't understand why I was so rude to him all of a sudden. Was he about to express his feeling for me? Did I blow it completely? 

My mind is snapped back to reality as I hear the door open and lay my eyes on him.