Chapter 29- Blue Betrayal

As Varian leads Rapunzel and me through the palace, I can feel my heart beating through my chest. The worry inside of me was growing stronger by the second. After all, I haven't been home since...the incident. What if we got caught?

Maybe we should've waited for the rest of the rebellion instead of rushing into things...

The dark halls of the castle are empty. Even when it was late at night, these hallways were always bustling with guards and servants. Now there was no one. I shiver at the sight.

I try to avoid thinking about what happened to them and keep my chin up.

The three of us slowly make our way through the servants' quarters, the only sound to be heard was the soft tapping of our shoes against the floor. The dimly lit candles that lined the halls cast our shadows onto the walls, creating an eerie sight.

I gasp as I hear a door open and stop walking. My eyes dart over to Varian, and he returns my worried gaze. My heartbeat quickens as I realize that Rapunzel was nowhere to be found. Where is she? Why isn't she here?! What if she was caught?! My thoughts race around my head.

Suddenly, I hear the soft sound of crying coming from one of the rooms. As I walk closer to the noise, my heart falls. The crying was coming from Cassandra's bedroom. I slowly peek my head into the room, only to find Rapunzel sitting on the edge of Cass's bed, holding her blue handmaiden gown in her lap. Tears are flowing down my sister's cheeks as she longingly gazes at the article of clothing.

I meekly enter the room and sit down beside Rapunzel. She doesn't look at me as I place my hand on her shoulder. "Raps? What's going on? Please tell me."

Rapunzel finally meets my eyes. Her bottom lip quivers as she looks at me. "(Yn)...Cassandra...s-she isn't coming home."

I could practically hear my heart shatter. "W-What do you mean?" I didn't want to know the answer.

"Cass betrayed us...she s-stole the moonstone." More tears fall from her green eyes.

"She what?" I feel tears prick the corners of my eyes, as I try to swallow the lump in my throat. "No...no, no, no. Not Cass. She wouldn't do something like that..." I choke out, trying to convince myself that what I was hearing wasn't true.

Rapunzel pulls me into a hug. Not one of her signature joyful hugs, but a hug that was expressing a shared pain. "I'm so sorry, (yn)."

The tears finally break free, and I begin to sob. I just got Varian back, and now I've lost Cassandra-The same Cassandra who would smuggle me second helpings of dessert, secretly stitch up my gowns after I tore holes into them, so my father didn't find out, trained me to fight, and listened to my deepest secrets. She was gone. I was betrayed...again.

If my own father could lie to me...if my best friend could try to take over my kingdom...and if the woman I saw as a sister could betray me...who can I even trust anymore?

Varian suddenly runs into the room. "You guys have to get out of here! They're coming!" He frantically exclaims, breaking Rapunzel's and my sisterly moment.

Rapunzel looks at Varian with worried eyes as we stand up.

Before we can do anything, the sound of heavy footsteps fills the room. "Well, well, well..."

We turn around and gasp when we see the Saporians standing there, blocking the doorway and our only way to escape. Clementine smirks. "It looks like our little alchemist found a couple of revolutionaries."

:-:-:-:-:

Rapunzel scowls as she grips the metal bars of the cell we were thrown into. "How could you do this?!"