Chapter Seven

I speed-walked away from my ex-boyfriend, leaving him alone at the tree he'd for some reason thought was the perfect make out spot

His voice gradually faded behind the sound of blood rushing in my ears. No amount of slushie could cool the rage that consumed my body from the inside out. Dealing with potential creeps again at the car wash sounded like a bad idea. I was this close to losing my shit. So, instead of taking my anger out on middle-aged losers with a shitty hose, I wandered in the opposite direction of the café and tried breathing through my residual irritation.

Time alone only made my mind become a beacon for unwanted thoughts.

Who did Carter think he was? Why did he think he could go off with someone else for everyone at the game to see and still expect to get back together with me? Stupid guy logic? Did he think I was that much of a pushover? That's what infuriated me the most; he made it seem like him chasing other girls was expected of him.

Carter's hypocritical face burned into my mind and swept away the stinging sensation of my nails digging into my palm.

That stupid dopey smile and those stupid oblivious eyes. How were they charming once upon a time? Could you lose feelings in a split second? The moment he'd kissed that girl, he'd zapped any love I had for him.

He thought I was the crazy one for not jumping back into his arms.

I should do the opposite and move on already.

"What the hell, Dorothy!"

Rosie's unexpected voice stopped me dead in my tracks. I came back to myself and recognized my surroundings. I stood outside a freshly painted white wooden canopy, having made it all the way into the middle of the park without realizing. I paused by the railing and glanced inside.

Eduardo and Dorothy sat on a wooden bench. Well, he did. She'd planted herself on his lap, wrapped her hands around his neck, and left enough space not to touch his sling. A bunch of shopping bags and a McDonald's cardboard container surrounded them.

Izzy hadn't lied when she said Eduardo hadn't showered since Friday. Was that Cheeto dust on his shirt? His golden blonde hair spiked in every direction, unlike his usual style of combing it back and spraying it to perfection.

He noticed me and wiped down his neck, but that did nothing to rid himself of the hickeys on his skin.

Rosie stood by the canopy's entrance with her back to me, rocking back and forth on her heels.

"Hi," Dorothy responded to her sister with a bright smile, not noticing me or not caring enough to acknowledge me.

"How can you go from planning revenge against him this morning to kissing him now?" Rosie demanded.

"About that," Eduardo began, smacking his lips awkwardly. "She tried getting sunscreen in my hair, but she got me on the cheek and one thing led to another . . ."