Chapter Twenty-Eight

Coach Miller didn't pull the plug on merging the teams, despite not being thrilled with how the rest of the practice went

Coach Miller didn't pull the plug on merging the teams, despite not being thrilled with how the rest of the practice went. He had to end the trust fall exercise early when a full line of players thumped to the ground at the same time.

Nick and I sat at the bottom of the bleachers after practice, taking turns doodling with the magic marker while we waited for Mae to come and pick us up. We drew a pretty rad and original mini soccer team. So, what if there was a sea lion-dragon hybrid crest on a blue and red jersey? It was nothing more than a coincidence.

The Sea Dragons were a Nick Wilson original.

For thirty minutes my gaze darted around the outskirts of the field, paranoid that Carter would tumble over to ask about our upcoming date or, worse, ask why I'd lied to him about dating Rosie in the first place. Worse again, capturing the moment he confronted me on camera and blasting it everywhere for everyone to see. It was only a matter of time before he told Hazel about the date and before Hazel spoke to Rosie about it.

Rosie getting blindsided and blowing up my lie was inevitable, and really, it was a miracle that hadn't happened yet.

All two of my attempts to ask her to be my accomplice had gone . . . unexpectedly.

Was it worth a third shot?

The last bus from the car lot pulled away from the school at the same time my phone lit up with a text from Mae. Nick leaned over to catch a glimpse. Mae was pulled to work a double shift and needed us to get a ride home on the bus home.

Nick let out a low, "Oh, no."

I sent a silent prayer to the mysterious and probably made up higher power in the clouds. Surely, there was one decent person left on campus who was prepared to give us a ride.

We crossed the field and went into the car lot as quickly as we could before the last car shot off. Luckily, the girl was busy with something in her trunk and seemed in no rush to leave. Her head popped out of her trunk just as I was about to yell out to ask for a ride. She whipped her deceptively dark and dripping hair over her shoulder, revealing the side profile of none other than Rosie Connelly.

Of course.

The girl who had no qualms about asking me why I'd kissed her as if she hadn't been willing and, quite frankly, an eager participant. It's not like it took two to tango or anything. The audacity. And to think I had the manners to not embarrass her, only for her to swipe the rug from out under me.

No shame.

Nick pointed and asked, "Why don't we ask—"

I placed my hand on his shoulder and spun us both around before she could see us, not willing to face any conversation with her just yet. "Nope."

"But—"

"I'll call Izzy." Except my phone screen remained black at the touch. How?! It worked two seconds ago. "You don't have a phone, do you?" He shrugged. Right. Mae didn't want to get him his first phone until he turned ten. "We can walk. Walking is fun."