Chapter 4: Draw

One of my strengths is that I can easily adapt – to anything. I was raised extravagantly by loving parents but when Mom got sick, I realized that just like that, everything could collapse like a pack of cards. Seeing how my father was barely holding it together made me promise myself that I would not be an addition to my Dad's burden; and that I would not be the useless daughter who would just whine, cry, and do nothing. That I would do what I can to save my family.

"Of course, I'll marry Ayden," my cousin Mavis had haughtily said while she threw a smirk my way. "Tingnan mo nga naman, no matter how others try to ruin a relationship, in the end, the most deserving still wins," she had added laughing.

I had wanted to beg off when Dad had told me that we needed to be present during the discussion of A.X. Ynchausti Software Philippines' offer since our family owns half of Syquia Pharmaceuticals.

"Ano ba naman 'yan si Ayden," Mavis had continued to giggle. "'Di ba, Mom, Dad, your future son-in-law is just too much!"

"It seems that he's really smitten with you," Tita Gemma had enthused. "Isipin mo naman, bibilhin pa n'ya itong kumpanya para lang pakasalan ka. He's very generous! Wait, how much is the offer?"

"We'll get to that part later, Mrs. Syquia," the lawyer had replied. "Mukha namang walang problema since more than willing to comply with my client's terms ang anak ninyong si Miss Aiyla Azra—"

"Excuse me, what?" Mavis had asked scowling at the lawyer before she threw me an icy look. "My name is not Aiyla Azra Syquia. I am Maria Vittoria Syquia!"

"Hm..." The lawyer had looked thoughtful. "Then who is Miss Aiyla Azra Syquia?"

Mavis had pushed to her feet slamming her palms on the table. "Don't play games with me, bastard! I don't find your joke funny at all! I am Ayden Ynchausti's girlfriend and my name is Maria Vittoria Syquia!"

"Then you're not the one I am here for," the lawyer had calmly replied before he turned his full attention to me. "Miss Aiyla—?"

"Are you stupid?!" Mavis had angrily cut him off. "H'wag mo s'yang kakausapin at sa akin ka lang tumingin! Ako nga ang girlfriend ni Ayden! Kailangan ko bang ulit-ulitin ang sarili ko?! Hindi mo ba ako kilala, ha?!"

"No, Miss, I don't know you," the lawyer had replied serenely. "If you are not Miss Aiyla Azra Garchitorena Syquia then I suggest you sit down."

"Aba'y putang-ina 'tong bobong 'to!"

"Language," the lawyer had coolly said. "Please, let's not forget our manners and continue to act like decent people no matter how upset we are."

"Fuck you!"

"No, thank you," the lawyer had replied. "Can you please sit down?"

We all had watched as Mavis closed her eyes. "Mavis, don't let this idiot your boyfriend hired get under your skin. You have a wedding to plan, don't let this asshole ruin it!" she had muttered under her breath before opening her eyes again. "Anong pangalan mo—no, don't tell me dahil wala akong panahong makipag-usap sa isang pipitsuging abogado katulad mo. Ang sinasabi ko ay mali ka kaya bago pa man malaman ng boyfriend ko ang katangahan mo ay mas makabubuti kung humingi ka ng tawad sa akin."

The lawyer had looked amused. "I am Atty. Castor Saenz and no, he never mentioned a girlfriend. And if you truly are who you claim to be, I would have known since Ayden and I are cousins and it is our long-standing tradition to introduce those people we deem important to the family by inviting them to our events. I don't recall being introduced to you. Now, if you have foot-stomping-worthy questions to ask or childish tantrums to throw, you might want to call my cousin because he did not pay me enough to handle such paroxysms. Unless you want me to reschedule? I do not have the time to spare to watch a grown woman's meltdown or be subjected to her kind of abuse."