Beck's Big Break

January 2010,

"Good afternoon doll, hello Jade." Oscar greeted as Jade, and I walked up to his truck.

"Hi Oscar." I said, covering my eyes from the sun.

"Hey." Jade greeted.

"What can I get for you two ladies?"

"Stuffed ziti, please and nothing for Jade." I ordered as Jade waved her container of food from another food truck.

"Yes, coming right up. Ana!" He turned around, talking to his granddaughter.

"Are you still coming over after school?" Jade asked as we waited on my food.

"Yeah, why? You can come over min—"

"No, it's just my dad's wife decided to come back early from her stupid work tr— OW!" She yelled, moving to hold her arm.

"What?" I asked, concerned.

"I just got stung!" She looked at her arm, noticing the bee was still there.

"Oh, Oh my God!" I said as she grabbed the bee, squishing it between her fingers.

"Here's your food, sweetheart." Oscar said, holding out a napkin and the container.

"Thank you, here's $7." I rushed out, putting the money in his hand before he could refuse. "Y'know, bees die right after they sting you, Jade." I said as we walked away.

"I don't care, the bee got what it deserved, just faster."

"Whatever, you want to go to the nur—"

"Y/n! Jade!" Oscar yelled, causing us to stop in our tracks and turn around. "Jade." He called as he unwrapped a blue towel, revealing a small ice pack. He wiped his hands on the towel, putting it at the back of his truck before he started walking towards us.

"What?" She asked.

"Here." He held out his hand, holding the icepack, a band aid and some hydrocortisone cream. "These bees are stinging like crazy, huh?" He chuckled, sending us a grin. He nodded his head towards Jade's arm, asking for consent to treat and touch her.

Jade nodded as she held her arm out, her other hand still holding onto where she was stinged. Oscar removed the cap from the cream, applying it to Jade's skin before putting the band-aid on.

"I keep this in my kit, for times just like this." He smiled, moving to put the icepack over the band-aid. "Keep it on there until the icepack dries, you don't have to bring it back, I've got plenty."

"Thanks Mr. Oscar." Jade smiled.

"Oscar is just fine, sweetheart. And no problem, have a nice day girls." He smiled, sending us a wink as he turned to walk away. "Ah! And Y/n don't think I forgot. I saw what you did there, don't think I didn't." He chimed, striding back to the food truck.

"He's too nice." Jade said as we walked.

"How?!" I asked, amused by her comment.

"He just is."

"Jade—" I paused, putting my bag down as I sat down by Beck. "You're just mean." I laughed.

"I agree with that statement." Beck said, kissing my forehead.

"Stay out of this, Beckman." Jade glared.

"Hey! who whazzed in your cereal?" He amusedly asked.

"Don't mind her, she just got stung by a bee." I said, opening my food container.

"Ohhh. Where'd the icepack come from?"

"Oscar." Jade muttered; eyeing a student who just got stung.

"Script pages, babe?" I asked as I cleaned my hands with a napkin and picked them up.