{23}

SOMETIMES I find myself wondering why in the hell I ever came to Storybrooke, Maine. Today was one of those reasons. One of my best friends Mary Margaret was arrested for mounting evidence against her in a murder case.

This so called evidence, I believed was planted in an attempt to frame my friend. But who would even want to hurt one of the sweetest people in the world?

"Please turn to the right!" Emma asked as Mary Margaret shifted to get her photo taken.

"Emma this is a mistake! I didn't kill Kathryn!" Mary Margaret said, looking between Emma and I. She probably was wondering if we believed her.

"Of course you didn't. But while I am your friend, I am also the Sheriff, and I have to go where the evidence leads." Emma explained, placing Mary Margaret's photo on her desk.

"Which points to me?" Mary Margaret asked us in shock.

"Emma, yesterday it was David. There's something not right here." Mary Margaret suggested. I could sense Emma was becoming anxious, so I held up my hand.

"Mary Margaret, we know. But your fingerprints were on that box. His were not." I said, and Emma shot me a grateful look.

Mary Margaret just looked stunned. "Evidence that says I cut out Kathryns heart and buried it in the woods. This is insane." Mary Margaret said and Emma sighed.

"If I don't book you, with all this evidence, it's gonna look like favoritism. Then Regina will have cause and she will fire me. And then you know what she'll do? She'll bring in someone who will railroad you. So please just try to be patient and trust me." Emma asked.

"Trust both of us. Because I'm going to be helping Emma clear your name, I promise." I told Mary Margaret.

"But what about your job at the school?" Mary Margaret asked and I shook my head. "I already asked for a leave. You're more important than my job right now." I assured her and she nodded.

"Don't worry Mary Margaret. We can't even move forward till we find more evidence. But in the meantime, you need to bear with us. I have to ask you a few questions. Claire, I'm sorry, but I'm afraid it can only be the two of us in the room." Emma said apologetically and I nodded.

"This is crazy. I would never hurt anyone." Mary Margaret said, still in shock. Emma and I shared a quick glance before I quickly made my exit.

I walked out onto the Main Street and stopped in my tracks. Gold was making his way towards me. "Damn it." I muttered, turning to walk the other way. Maybe he wouldn't chase me down.

"Claire! Wait!" I heard him call, but I just kept walking faster. An arm grabbed me and I whirled around defensively. Gold was holding onto my arm, stopping me from moving.

"Let go." I said, snatching my arm from his grasp. He looked hurt, but moved his arm back quickly. "Claire, please, I just want to talk." He pleaded but I shook my head. "If you wanted to talk, you wouldn't have kept things from me." I said and he sighed. "Claire, come on. I miss you. I want you back." He said and I felt my resistance starting to fail.

No, I told myself. "Tell me what you were lying about and you can have me back." I said, knowing he wouldn't tell me. He looked pained and shook his head. "That isn't fair, Claire." He said but I shook my head at him.

"Well, It May be news to you, but nothing is fair. I can't do this anymore." I said, walking away from him before he could stop me again.

Why were we always arguing? Why couldn't he just tell me what he was keeping from me? All this fighting between us, it felt all too familiar. As if we'd fought many times before..