Chapter 14 ᯽ All or Nothing

TRIGGER WARNING:

(This chapter briefly discusses suicide; proceed only if you feel comfortable doing so)

●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●

~Y/N's POV~

I sighed and glanced at the two people in front of me; Teresa was looking at me while holding Thomas in her lap; I could feel the tension between us even if Thomas was still fast asleep. I was aware that this conversation would last for a while, and I certainly wasn't prepared to have it just yet.

"Y/N, are you okay?" Teresa softly said as she sent a worrying glance my way.

I hummed in response, curling my knees up to my chest, wrapping them with my arms, and feeling my body stiffen.

I was comforted after remembering the kind of person she actually was and realizing that my gut instinct had been correct. It took everything I had not to strike out at her when I was close to her and saw how composed she was; if Thomas hadn't been fast asleep, I'm sure I would have but I had to control my rage.

Then, when I turned to face Thomas, I observed his breathing was rather slow. Normally, he never falls asleep first in situations like this, unless the exhalation finally caught up with him, which I highly doubt so I asked, "What happened to him?"

Teresa swiftly turned her gaze to me, and the anguish in her eyes was palpable, "Alby was still battling for his life when Thomas and the others watched you get dragged by the Griever from the Council Hall, and seconds after Alby was tightly held by them in attempt to help him slip out of the Grievers grasp. Unfortunately, Alby was taken away by the Griever since it was too powerful, which devastated everyone, especially Thomas. He rushed outside because he was still eager to find you and save you if there was still a possibility, but as soon as he saw the wreckage and our surroundings, he immediately came to a complete stop," Looking at the ground, Teresa remarked.

I simply remained silent for the time being and allowed her to speak, "When he noticed you unconscious on the ground, Newt swiftly sprinted passed him. When Newt was desperately begging for help, nobody gave Gally and his friends' approach in the distance much concern. When Gally punched Thomas square in the face and began shouting at him, telling him everything was his fault, Thomas was about to step in and help you. Thomas was silent and, by the time I turned to face him, I saw that he had injected the broken-off Griever stinger into his thigh, which caused him to collapse to the ground in a matter of seconds. It was all so overwhelming that I had no idea when it occurred."

I nodded and didn't say anything more, but I could feel Teresa's eyes piercing my skin when she said, "Y/N, please, talk to me, say anything," in a hushed voice.

I almost immediately snapped, "What the hell are you expecting me to say? Do you feel I owe you anything, like an explanation?"

As Teresa stared at me in fear, her eyes widened, but I merely decided to go on, "Teresa, you don't have to act like an innocent doll around me."

"Y/N, I have no idea what you're referring to—" She started to speak, but I interrupted her and said, "When Thomas wakes up, I'll let him speak instead of wasting my breath on you."

When I heard approaching footsteps, she stopped speaking just as I had spotted the glistening tears in her eyes.

I felt my eyes soften as I, at last, noticed it was Chuck, Minho, and Newt. I assumed the absence of light on their arrival was due to their desire to avoid Gally.