The Material Girl

London's Upper East side was pure shoppers paradise. By Upper East side, meaning north of the Kensington Market and Duvall Street. It was a world of some of London's most premiere boutiques, upscale cafés and restaurants and retail chain stores.  Here is was: 160 Bond Street, otherwise known as Nirvana.  As the revolving door of the store turned, an employee looked up to the sound of high heels clicking on the marble floor. I reached up and removed my sunglasses. 

"Hello! How are you doing?" I asked approaching the store employee. 

"Excellent! How may I help you today?" She asked, a smile plastered on her face.

"Oh, I need something. Something for a gallery premiere? Not too fancy but not very casual." I explained, digging through my handbag to stash my sunglasses away. I looked up to admire the beauty around me. I simple loved the way the store associates perfectly assembled each piece and perfectly coordinated the colors, textures and lengths.

"I think I've seen you in here before. Didn't you purchase the blue dress with the brown suede wedges?" the employee asked me with shining eyes. I gave her a smile.

"Yes. Yes, that was me." I answered her, already absorbed in a pale pink lace sheath dress.

"Oh! We were just in love with that dress when we received it! Campbell, right?" she asked, pointing at me.  I shook my head.

"Yes. Lydia." I answered her. When you were on a first name basis with the employees at the Christian Dior boutique, it was a sign you may have a problem. "I like this but...I don't much think it's my color." I said.

"Come here, are you open to the idea of a pantsuit? We recently received this. White bell style in the leg. The vest that matches in this black with beautiful gold detailing." She explained as she walked me across the marble floor to an outfit put together toward the back wall. I eyed it carefully as she presented it to me.

"It's lovely. It's just lovely! God, look at that white. I love the fabric." I said, touching it.

"Oh my god! There's a red patent leather clutch that would be brilliant with it. Susie! Susie go get that red clutch! The one the woman returned last week!" the woman called across the floor.

"Whoa, whoa..." I looked over at the woman helping me. "Do you have those gold strappy sandals that were featured on the ad in the latest Vogue?"I asked. The woman shook her head yes at me.  "Oh! Excellent! I'd love to them with this. Jesus...is this the clutch?" I asked as Susie, the other associate handed it over to me.

"It is! Red patent synthetic, satin lined. You can have a look inside here. Just one zippered compartment though. I don't know why the French insist on such useless pockets." She said as I examined the gorgeous red satin lining.

"Well, Susie...I could put good use to that pocket. The way I see it, five or six condoms would fit just fine. Oh, I'm in love." I said, eyeing her, watching her smile. It was okay, they knew me in here at least to a degree.

"It's a beautiful clutch. Please let us see it with the pantsuit." She said as the other associate searched out my size for the changing room.