The New Deal

September 24 - 1971

"Hi." A voice called to Brian over his desk. He looked up completely dumbfounded. His professor had told him that his graduate assistant's name was Aaron but it was only now that he realized it was that kind of Erin....not Aaron. "I'm...Erin...Erin Miller. Dr. Ambrose said that you needed some equations run and some essays graded? He also mentioned you have some physics problems that needed completing? Oh, here are the clear overhead transfers your requested for the orbital patterns." she said, tentatively reaching into her briefcase. Brian found his pulse racing as he glanced stupidly around his desk at the piles of papers and books. Dr. Ambrose, another member of his thesis board had said nothing about him having a female graduate assistance for his thesis work and help with his class workload. It wasn't that he minded, it was simply that this was terrifying because she was barely Brian's age and knew how to run quantum equations. Now here she was with a handful of clear overhead transfer sheets with the outlines of the orbits of Saturn, Mars, Earth and...and whatever other planets that were in the solar system that Brian couldn't name right now. She smiled waiting for him to take them.

"Um..." Brian cleared his throat and squirmed in his chair. "Um...thank you. Thank you very much. I...I appreciate these and...yeah. I...Brian. Err..." Brian shook his head. "Pro...fessor May. I'm Brian May. You can call me Professor May or Brian or....Brian." Oh god it was the worst introduction in the history of introductions.

"Nice to meet you professor. I brought you my schedule and I've got my number here if you need to ring me for anything. I have a mailbox down in the physics department office. You can leave any student papers there that I can help you with or if you need reference materials for your research I can help you with that too. Anytime you need equations run please let me know. I can do them and have them back to you within a day." She said smiling at him again.

"Uh huh...I mean...yes, yes. Thank you, Erin. I appreciate that and thank you for the transfers." Brian told her, staring across his desk not saying anything else. She shook her head before awkwardly waiting for Brian to give her his office phone or what she should be researching for him for his thesis material. Instead, there he was, hands nicely folded on his desk and a stupid smile on his face. 

"Um...Professor May? It's nearly 3:30 and I have to meet my boyfriend across campus. Do you...have the equations for me? Do you have anythin' else I should work on for you this week?" she asked seeing as Brian was not making a lot of progress. Oh thank god, thank god Erin had a boyfriend whom she had to meet across campus!

"Oh! It's...it's almost 3:30!? Shiiii....yes. I'm...I'm sorry Erin. I have to go too. I'm...I'm in a band and we have a show tonight. Um, here is the envelope with all the equations. Here are the essays and here are the physics problems. I'll write down my office number for you here and if you need me after hours with questions or something I'll give you my phone to my flat. Perhaps I can get you a list next week of some materials I need for me thesis?" Brian had finally snapped back to reality. Erin smiled more comfortably seeing as he had lightened up.

"Sure! Absolutely. I'm happy to pull any journals you need." She said taking the piece of paper from him. "I'll have all the equations done for you Monday. I'll put them in your mailbox between my nine and eleven o' clock classes. Thank you for your contact information." Erin said as she turned around. She spun partly back around to face Brian. "Professor May? Did you say you were in a band?" she asked a bit perplexed.

"Yes. I play guitar...and I sing some." Brian said, the words sounding almost foreign to even him. Erin smiled and shook her head.

"That's pretty rad. Nice to meet you Professor. Have a great weekend. I'll talk to you next week." She said before leaving Brian's office.