Chapter 7: My Emotional Support Person

Being squished in the breakroom like a can of expired sardines was not Rowena's ideal way to spend the afternoon

Being squished in the breakroom like a can of expired sardines was not Rowena's ideal way to spend the afternoon. She normally didn't mind cramped spaces except she knew Warner, one of her co-workers, was dropping silent bombs as he made his way around the room.

She found him guilty after Warner stood next to her and his eyes turned glassy before he moved to another part of the room with a lazy smile.

"You dirty bird," she muttered in his direction. The foul stench of rotten eggs became so strong she could taste it.

Her eyes watered and she coughed before stepping to her right, only to bump into Liam. He was wearing a Sweeter Homes nametag with the name "Horatio" written on it in a blue Sharpie. Her eyes widened, and she stole a look around the room before whispering, "What are you doing in here, Liam? This is an employee-only meeting."

"I'm undercover. Cross wants you safe, so I'm keeping a close eye on you," Liam answered before jerking his chin toward Rolando, standing on one of the breakroom's plastic chairs, attempting to gain everyone's attention.

"That's a workman's comp accident waiting to happen," Wendy, another co-worker, said, making a tsking sound with her tongue.

Liam nodded. "We should report him to HR."

"You don't even work here," Rowena hissed.

"Don't talk to Horatio like that, Rowena," Wendy rebuked. She adjusted her glasses before tapping Liam on his shoulder with a shy smile. "You should stand closer to me." She lowered her voice. "I believe Rowena is passing gas."

"I thought it smelled like a moldy cabbage head in here," Liam whispered, nodding.

"Liam! I did not fart!" Rowena yelled, gaining the attention of everyone in the room. Her cheeks flushed as some of her co-workers covered their noses and stepped away from her. Her face scrunched up in annoyance. "Like you've never passed gas," she mocked.

Rolando cleared his throat and clapped his hands. "Everyone, I called you here for some important announcements. One, Karen's funeral will be in four days. I expect everyone to donate to her flower fund."

Someone in the room booed.

Rolando's jaw twitched before he clapped his hands again. "I expect everyone to attend the funeral as well."

Another boo came from the crowd.

"Rowena!" Carmen cried from behind her. "Stop booing. That's so rude. Karen just died. You should be respectful."

Rowena's mouth opened like a blowfish sucking in air, and her eyes widened. She threw her hands in front of her, making a protesting motion. "I didn't boo! Rolando, I didn't boo!"

"Sure, Rowena," Carmen said facetiously. "Just like you didn't pass gas earlier."

"That was Warner!" Rowena insisted, pointing a finger at the hefty man wearing blue coveralls. His blonde hair was curled at the top of his head and sweat was dripping down his forehead.