Chapter 15: Couponers, Cumbias, and Cold Calls

The squeaky wheel of her cart announced her arrival three aisles away

"Please don't pick my line. Please don't pick my line. Please don't pick my line," Rowena chanted as an older woman with pink cat glasses and an oversized khaki tote pushed her cart toward the checkout line.

"You're saying that a little too loudly," Rolando, her manager, hissed.

Sylvia Finch, the assistant manager, stood next to him with a clipboard in her hands. She shook her head, making a disapproving clucking sound before jotting down some notes.

"What are you doing?" Rowena asked, while trying to stifle a yawn. She had spent her night in Howler. During the full moon, she'd been alone while Cross stopped his wolves from causing too much havoc in his town.

She created a list of questions she wanted to ask Little Mikey.

1) What secret did Karen have, you secret-keeping cara de papa? 2) Did you cheat on Gina with Karen, you cheating cara de lechuga? 3) Why haven't you broken Gina out of jail, you law breaking cara de pollo?

She created the list after too many glasses of wine, which explained all of her questions calling him a potato face, a lettuce face, and a chicken face.

The woman with the squeaky wheel smiled and waved at Rowena. She shouted, "Robin! I'm so glad you're working today!"

"Robin?" Sylvia repeated.

Rolando nodded. "That's Libby. She is a Sweeter Homes regular."

"Can I please go on a break?" Rowena whisper-yelled at Rolando.

"You don't greet your customers?" Sylvia asked, her pen poised above her clipboard.

"Of course, I do. Robin doesn't." Rowena turned to see Libby scuttling forward.

"I'm so lucky," Libby squealed. I got a haul today." She gestured to her cart filled with laundry detergent, home goods,, and fabric softener bottles. "I'll probably make a video for all my social media. Maybe you can share them later, Robin. I know you're a loyal follower."