Prologue

Prologue

Liam's POV

Prologue

"Liam, don't go," my weak mother called, coughing lightly.

I frowned, staring at her fragile body on the rusty bed, and sighed. "Mom," I dragged, "I'm a man already. I need to bring food to the table," I said, gazing ahead at the wall.

"Don't go," my mother persisted. "I have a bad feeling about this."

"There's no bad feeling about it," I growled. "You just don't want me to..." Anger surged through my veins as I clenched my fists. I was now an adult, feeling responsible for my family after my father ran off with a younger woman. My mother had always been the one to put food on the table. Now, she was weak, and her health was deteriorating.

"No, dear..." Our argument was cut off when a little girl with pixie hair bobbed in.

"Brother!" she squealed excitedly, jumping on me. I caught her immediately, twirling her around and making her giggle before running my hand through her hair playfully.

"How is my favorite girl?" I chuckled lightly, caressing her cheeks adoringly.

"I'm fine, Brother Liam," she grinned cheekily.

"That's my girl," I mumbled softly, putting her down as she ran off to the backyard.

I turned my gaze to my mother, walking to her as I sat beside the mat where she lay. "Mom," I dropped my voice low, "let me take care of you." I whispered before pecking her forehead and going out.

I closed the door behind me, sauntering my way through the thick forest. It was only my family that lived in the forest. My mom was cast away after my father left because the people thought of her as a bad wife, and as punishment, she and her children should stay on the outskirts of the village. My mother, being the nicest and kindest person I knew, didn't argue or deny the accusations.

Fuck! That always made me mad.

Only my footsteps and the heavy rustle of leaves could be heard as I hummed an unknown tune I heard at the marketplace the previous day. I kicked little pebbles on my way.

I saw a demarcation garden, and I grinned slyly, looking left and right before jumping in swiftly. Luck was always on my side. If I could pluck twenty of the ripened berries, it would last for my family until tomorrow.

I rolled the sleeves of my tattered shirt as I climbed the tree gingerly, finding a sturdy branch to sit on while picking the ripened berries.

The barking of dogs alerted me to the owner's approach, and I scrambled off the branch but lost my footing, falling with a loud thud. I bit my lips hard, trying not to scream from the pain. Groaning, I felt my left leg broken as the farmer's dogs ran towards me. I ran at a speed I never knew I possessed, jumping out of the garden with my one-half-functioning leg.

My heart pounded erratically as I feared for my life, running zigzag to mix my scent with the forest, confusing the pursuing dogs. When I noticed I had lost the trail, I limped home.

By the time I arrived, my house was on fire. Everything was burning. Despite the raging flames, I ran inside to save my mom and sister, but the smoke was too much. I ran out to inhale cleaner air, coughing vigorously as tears glistened in my eyes.

I screamed for help, but no one heard. Kneeling outside, I watched my home and my family crumble.

Anguished and blinded by rage, I grabbed the ax I had left outside on the lawn and stalked to my father's mistress' home. Without warning, I went inside and butchered the woman, my father, and their son.

Turning to leave the crime scene, the door immediately shut, and the temperature dropped. The room felt colder than before. I threw the bloodied ax away, fear prickling my body as I closed my eyes when a bright light shone in front of me. Falling to my knees, I trembled tremendously.

"Ye son of Iris," a voice—an angry feminine voice—said. "You've killed the innocents! You've killed my family, and you shall be punished." The voice laughed maniacally.

"You shall become a king to people for your resentment; you shall become a monster for your grudge; you shall never know the taste of mate and be lonely." Her voice made my heart constrict as I touched my chest in pain, unable to voice anything.

"You shall become the worst and darkest part of you; you shall never be able to feel human again because you've given up your humanity."

"No." I shook my head, but my throat was blocked by a lump. Only black blood came out of my mouth.

"I, Opharis, the moon goddess, placed a curse on you." That was the last thing I heard before falling into darkness