One

Chapter 1

Liam Eros Ambrose

The rectangular golden nameplate proudly displayed my name on the mahogany brown desk. The mere mention of my name sent chills down people's spines, uttered by a few without being swallowed by an ominous feeling. The names suited me; my voice and physique were enough to make others tremble with fear.

The room was silent, save for the sound of pages flipping as I read through documents on my desk. Frustration crept over me, visible in the perfectly curved furrow of my brows, and the annoyance was evident as I slammed my palm on the desk.
I tugged at my tie, freeing my neck, feeling angsty. Every part of my body begged for rest; black bags formed under my eyes, and my brown eyes dimmed from exhaustion.

I groaned, sighing as I took a sip of black coffee from the cup beside me, only to spit it out in disgust.

"Fuck!" I growled, throwing the cup against the nearest wall.

"Get me another coffee!" I bellowed, the frustration and tiredness evident in my voice. Standing up, I stretched my numbed muscles, flexing my arms as I walked to the glass window, staring out of my office. I removed my suit, hung it up, unbuttoned two buttons of my shirt angrily, and pinched the bridge of my nose.

How I wished to be free from all this, but I was atoning for past mistakes. Countless responsibilities weighed me down; my shoulders hunched and tensed from the burden. Mysteries and dead ends filled my days, and after getting hopeful with a clue, it always led to more complications.

Another boring day, and my secretary flinched at my voice as she rushed to bring my coffee.

"Jingle bell, jingle bell," a voice sang joyfully, the briefcase moving up and down.

"Keep it down!" Alisha scolded my secretary with a cheeky smile.

The culprit pouted, glancing at his fingers. "What's stuck in your pants, Lishy?" She smiled, showing her perfect teeth.

"The angry red bull has been released; it needs coffee to calm it down," she whispered jokingly. I could hear all they were saying but pretended not to.

"Oh," he said, biting his lips.

"What did you have for him?" Alisha asked.

"The same old problem..." The sound of something breaking interrupted him as Alisha shot me a concerned look. "This is getting worse," she muttered, walking past him. Before leaving, she added, "And Leo, be careful."

Leo stood at the front of my office door, contemplating whether to enter or not, before inhaling and opening the door.

"RIP, my poor soul," Leo mumbled.

He tiptoed in, checking the damages on the tiled floor as his reflexes kicked in, dodging an oncoming thrown object. A breathy sigh escaped him as he stared at the pen on the floor before chuckling humorlessly and beginning to sob.

"Where the fuck were you?" I growled as Leo straightened himself and bowed, craning his neck as a sign of submission. The full moon was near, and every wolf would be on edge, especially the unmated ones.

"Campus," Leo responded, seeing me hum in response, waiting for him to continue. "The number of missing students is increasing... Twenty students went missing last night. We found eight bodies, but the remaining are still not found yet," he finished, looking at the ground when he got no response from me. He looked up to see my head down before I burst into laughter like a maniac.

"Hahaha!" my voice boomed out as Leo awkwardly laughed after me, stepping back.

Leo scoffed, closing his eyes. I had been working non-stop for the past forty-eight hours with no sleep or food, trying to finish all the paperwork, but it kept piling up.

Another job again! I groaned. Despite being a lycan, my body and mind also craved human things like sleep, food, and fun, but it seemed impossible now. I clenched and unclenched my fist in anger.

"So..?" I asked, running my hand through my hair frenziedly.

"The government..." Leo began.

"What happened to the government again?" I interrupted.

Werewolves weren't known by many people; only a few handy individuals knew about them. Werewolves were a myth and a superstition to humans, but it was beyond human thinking.

We, the werewolves, were secret agents helping the government protect people from the virus of vampirism.

The government supported us in fighting the virus, but it kept spreading like wildfire. College students kept going missing, and murders—dead bodies—were piling up.

Vampires and wolves were mortal enemies. The vampires' insatiable thirst never ceased, and the wolves' instinct to protect humans persisted. Vampires operated mainly at night, earning them the nickname "owls," but some vampires could walk in the sunlight like true pure-bloods. Wolves, on the other hand, were opportunistic, patrolling during the night and walking freely during the day.

"The vampires are building their army," Leo started, only to flinch.

"As if," I smirked.

"Mr. Eric suggested it at today's meeting." Eric was the representative of humans to the wolves: "To protect the students, school, and people..." Leo gulped.

"Okay," I mumbled, urging Leo to continue.

"We should increase our people around there because the campus is the main target of the vampires," Leo stated, his eyes darting around for an escape.

"Fuck!" I was interrupted. It had been a long time since I heard my Lycan voice. The animalistic and primal side of me spoke for the first time after I was engaged to my fiancée. My Lycan shut me out; it still believed there was hope for us, a mate out there, but I had given up. I didn't want a force of hope.

"Hi human," Eros, my Lycan, muttered.

"Hi Eros," I responded.

"I'm having a feeling about this," Eros answered, drifting off to silence mode.

"I'm going to check the campus to see if I can find any clues," I mumbled, taking my coat to have another lap around.

I could feel the day would be long as usual.