Waking up

——
They rushed to the sink, their hands clawing the cold porcelain. Blood coating their fingers like vile. They watched in a petrified state as the sink washed away the grotesque substance down the drain.

They look up to face themselves in the mirror, there stands somebody completely unrecognizable. 'Is it me? No, that's not how I remember looking. It's my face though.' Their eyes seemed to look through just the mirror image of themselves. They watched in horror as long ivory fingers clawed their shoulder from their peripheral. Looking back at the mirror, they watched themselves look up at the being whom made themselves known. [Y/n] knew they weren't brave enough to follow through with their own reflection's actions, instead choosing to squeeze their eyes shut. He didn't go away. Rather then the air around them getting warmer as the entity entered their personal bubble, they felt a shiver run down their spine. "You need to open the door."

[Y/n]'s eyes shot open. They quickly sat up, looking around for a source of sun light or even just something bright enough to see where they were. Thanks to the help of some moonlight squeezing through the cracks of their blinds they were able to locate the light switch beside their bed.

A shaky breath escaped their mouth as they repeatedly flickered the light switch, one that refused to reveal any sign of light. They looked further into the space of their apartment, but the darkness stared back at them. The microwave didn't glow with the approximate time, the alarm clock stood dimly. They weren't scared of the dark, and power outages happen sometimes. It's still late so they could just lay back down. They can't.

For some reason, this night, the darkness that consumed their home had never seemed more alive than it did in this moment, and it was smiling at them. They saw each other. So they did all they could think to do. They got up, and walked into the vulnerability of the darkness, in search of the door handle.

The feeling of relief washed over them as they soon felt the cold knob under their hand as they anxiously twisted at the handle, throwing the door open and taking two frantic steps forward before bumping into something.

————