t w e l v e

I held onto Viktor's arm tightly as we walked into the supermarket. It made me uncomfortable, being in such a public place. I kept a firm hold on the Don and tried to minimize my limping. He walked slower, at my pace and I was grateful.

Viktor had insisted our dire need to restock before we went and investigated Richard Battier's apartment. Brookehills had one large supermarket that apparently sold everything. We needed new clothes, some supplies and maybe I could get something that could help me upgrade my laptop. Who knew?

I did tie down all the buttons on Viktor's jacket to hide the worst of my bruises. It was not a good time to be stuck with a cropped top and leggings. Viktor in simple jeans and a long sleeved shirt didn't even seem fazed about the cold. He was warm, comfortably so and it felt like it was a second away from snowing outside.

"Aren't you cold?" I asked Viktor as he helped me stand on my own, grabbing a large shopping car for us.

"Not so," he answered getting back to me as we now walked down the fruit aisles together.

"That's a very Russian thing to say you know," I told him and adjusted the sunglasses on my nose. I might need some frozen peas and makeup to hide this black eye better if we were going out in public.

"A very Russian thing to say?" Viktor echoed, clearly wanting me to elaborate.

"Isn't Russia extremely cold? This weather might be like any other windy day to you."

"Yes, Russia is cold but not everywhere," he explained. "I stayed in some of the coldest places like Oymyakon though. My dad never settled so neither did we but I moved here when I was 15. I guess I enjoy the cold—"

"Enjoy?"

"— but it seems to not be for everyone," he finished.

"Clearly," I muttered and stopped him when we reached an aisle for snacks. "We should take a few."

"Let's get everything else and then round back," Viktor suggested. "We have a lot to get."

"Some clothes and medical supplies aren't a lot."

"We need some knives, shovels, bleach, gloves, duct tape, trash bags and tarps. To name a few."

My mouth dropped and I glanced at Viktor with the most horrific expression I could under my sunglasses. "What the hell Viktor?!" I hissed. "Those are very sketchy items. It sounds like we're going to murder people!"

"We are," Viktor stated in a deadly tone and bent over my small form so I was almost underneath his bulk. His breath brushed my ear as he whispered. "Everything we do must be covered up Peach. We might be going into a battle and we are not leaving dead bodies behind for the police to follow. We have to keep our business as clean as possible. Understand."

My heart was racing and my head pounded. My vision blurred and shook. "I did not sign up to intentionally kill people Viktor."

"Neither did I but here we are," He stated and pulled back to look into my eyes hidden behind the large round glasses. He shifted his chin to move his hair out of his eyes. "I'm going to tell you this now Peach. By the end of whatever the fuck this is, you are going to have blood on your hands, yeah? Ty ne mozhesh' ubezhat' ot etogo."

I shook my head and I tried to back up but he grabbed my hand and kept me close. My breathing was strained. I couldn't even imagine it. Burying bodies, chopping them up, hiding evidence, I was going to be sick.

"This is so fucked," I groaned out bending to hold my stomach lightly. I tried to take deep breaths and I heard Viktor sigh.

"Maybe this is too much for you right now—"