t h i r t e e n

When we reached the hotel, Viktor made me stay in the car.

That was thirty minutes ago.

I called him, twice but he hasn't picked up yet. I was getting seriously worried but I wasn't sure if me going to the hotel was the best decision or the worst. He could be dead but that was highly unlikely so, what was taking him so much time? I huffed and unlocked the door, stepping out. I'd been up and about too much. I really needed a break.

My hobble wasn't as bad as I entered the building and went straight for the elevator. This hotel was posh in all honestly, a good three and a half stars. Everything was shiny and clean. The lobby I passed was full of people with bags and a busy receptionist who's smile looked like it was about ready to kill. The elevator played classical music. Mirrors adorned the walls so I could see myself in every direction I looked. The only thing I noticed were how stupid these sunglasses were. I wish I could speed up my eye's healing process. I hadn't even got the time to get the frozen peas out of their bag. I was that busy worrying for Viktor.

I was convinced the only reason I did was that he would keep me alive. Being with him was less dangerous than being without him.

I knew Robert Battier's room number so I walked up to the room marked 27. I raised my hand to knock but I noticed the door was slightly ajar. My heart hammered in my chest as I pulled my hand back. Going in there was going to be a mistake. A big one. My fight or flight instincts were telling me to walk calmly back to the car and wait for Viktor. The problem? I couldn't be a coward. I pushed the door open. The room was dark.

I did what any girl in a horror film would do.

"Hello? Anyone here? Viktor?"

I took a few steps inside the room and reached for the light by the wall, flicking it on. The room was bathed in soft yellow light. The first thing I noticed was the set up in the living room. The blue pastel coloured couches were pushed against the wall. In the middle was a long table with four big beautiful curved monitors. A fancy keyboard sat before them and a sleek wireless mouse. The next thing I noticed was the mess. Pillows were thrown around like someone had tumbled on the ground. My heart beat fast in my chest.

Viktor.

"Viktor?!" I called out louder and when I got to the kitchen, my heart raced in my chest at the sight of glass and blood littering the floor. God, I hoped none of it belonged to Viktor. Where was the nuisance anyway?

I looked around the whole hotel room. Nothing. I did notice that there were two rooms, a master and another room with two twin beds and a bathroom attached. The place generally was nice. When my search for Viktor was futile, I went over to the table of monitors and settled in the chair before them. I first tried Viktor's phone, getting no answer. Again.

I sighed hoping he'd return from wherever he'd gone. I called room service and had them get my things from the car. I couldn't carry them alone even if I wished. I'm sure the two guys who'd helped lift the stuff where suspicious but with a generous tip, I knew they'd shut up.

The first thing I did was get the frozen peas. I shed my jacket and top in the kitchen, using duct tape to tie the frozen food, now not so frozen to my body. Once I was close to looking like an abominable snowman, I held the last pack of peas to my eye.

Then I allowed myself to turn on the computer's monitors. Beautiful wasn't enough to describe the quality of these screens. Pulchritudinous probably did the deed. I whistled low, trying to keep the ice on my face as I typed with one hand. I almost squealed with excitement.

It was locked, obviously but poorly. I got in without much of a hustle and I checked each and every document and google history. These guys were looking for me. Kat's coyote had tipped them off. They were 'besties' in every sense of the word according to their messages. I still hadn't found why they were looking for me and not for Viktor. They believed I'd lead them to the Don. Why?