DUCKS FLY

my heart has been pounding on the whole walk here with ash. over the past thirty hours, i haven't seen adam once. i understand, this is a big game for the ducks. 

the cold december air flies around us as we walk with linda. ash has been going on and on about something that happened that morning in class while the other listens.

"hey girls, can i talk to you?"

i turn my head to see matt, standing there with a giant teddy bear with jace behind him. they have been seeing each other a lot since the party.

i nod slowly, looking at ash for reassurance.

"jace and i will go save some seats.", linda says, walking ahead with matthew's boyfriend.

"i'm sorry and i miss you.", the boy spits out, " i didn't mean to react the way i did. i was just frustrated with how adam treated you. i shouldn't have let my emotions over take me and that's on me. i'm sorry."

i chuckle, "i wasn't even mad at you, matti. i was just giving you space because that's what we thought you needed."

"we good?"

ash hums in response, jumping onto his back, "only if you carry me the rest of the way."

he nods, handing me the giant bear, "for you as a apology gift."

i smile at the small warrior crewneck it's wearing and notice the small banks lettering on the back.

"you are good with adam and i, right?"", i question to which he gives me a small smile.

"as long as you're happy, i'm happy."

we enter the large, packed arena and quickly find linda and jace. matt goes to sit next to him as the other two sit a stand lower next to linda.

the cheers louden as the ducks and warriors skate out onto the ice, i'm joined on my feet by the four people surrounding me.

adam immediately finds me, blowing me a quick kiss. 

i hear young josh speak on the intercom, "it appears they're paying homage to their departed friend and mentor, hans. the touch of the ice is a norwegian symbol of respect."

the ducks huddle in and begin to quack much to everyones surprise. the crowd joins in with them, showing their support to the former junior olympians. 

my pace quickens as i see adam against riley in face off, the two fight for the puck, knocking each other down. 

"the puck is dropped, and here we go. varsity comes out hard.", i scream when jules stops to the puck with her chest, "ooh! big save by julie the cat. at this rate, it's going to take a miracle for the ducks to hang on. goldberg, spectacular toe save as the ducks are playing real defense."

the two periods go by fast as the intensity thickens. it's still zero to zero. josh was right the older team is being ruthless to them, playing cheap hockey. as the game has gone by, varsity has only tried to injure the ducks. i worry for my friends safety as it was obviously the school had payed off the refs. or they were the blindest, i have ever seen. my heart drops as adam is flipped over xavier's back.

"well if you can't beat 'em, beat 'em. that seems to be coach wilson's message because the varsity is really nailing the ducks now."

i see a nasty hit from cole and riley to connie's boyfriend. my eyes go wide as the crowd stands up trying to get a closer look to the boy, screaming in pain. 

"oh now, this is getting out hand. guy germaine just took a vicious check into the boards by rick riley and andrew cole. he's down and he's not getting up."