Lily's request

Theo Potter

Theo was feeling...good. 

Surprisingly good. 

He felt stronger than he ever had before. His magic came easily in classes, he was focusing better when he was studying. He was beginning to think that this whole 'dark magic addiction' was the best thing to happen to him in a long time. 

That's not to say that the last couple of weeks hadn't been hard. His nightly sessions with Harry were brutal and unforgiving, but he came away stronger. 

"You need to control the magic," Harry always said, "Not the other way around." 

That was probably the best part of the whole scenario, Theo thought as he sat in transfiguration, having already transformed his teaspoon into a butterfly that twitched in his hand; getting to spend more time with Harry. They were really brothers now, and Theo couldn't be happier.  

The butterfly twitched again, more violently this time.

He really didn't understand why everyone was so wary of Harry anymore. He was the perfect student, he was polite to his professors, and he was helping Theo out of the kindness of his heart. 

The butterfly seized, flapping its bright orange wings once before they turned black and hard like stone, cold in Theo's hands. 

He didn't spare it a glance. 

Because that was part of this whole mess, Harry had told him. His magic was stronger, sure, but more inclined towards dark magic now. But that was perfectly fine because 'All magic is important, and it's ignorant to disregard a whole branch because of bias.' Harry's words of course. 

"Um, Theo?" Theo turned his head, seeing Ginny staring at the blackened butterfly in his hand. "I don't think it's supposed to look like that." 

Theo glanced down, closing his fist and crushing the butterfly, black ash staining his palm. He looked at Ginny, who's eyes were narrowed. 

"Haven't got the hang of it yet," he shrugged, "I'll just keep practicing." 

Ginny's eyes didn't leave his hand, "No Theo. I mean it's really not supposed to look like that-"

At that moment, McGonagall appeared in front of their desk, "Mr Potter, what is that filth on your hand?" 

Theo considered lying for a moment, but decided against it, "Uh, it's my butterfly, Professor?"  

McGonagall's eyebrows flew up, and she held out her hand, "Show me, now." 

Theo hesitantly raised his arm, startling when she grasped it, raising his palm close to her face. 

"What..." she murmered, "Mr Potter what exactly did you do to this poor creature?" 

Theo blinked, "I- I um-" 

"It was me," Ginny blurted, "I was being stupid and I accidentally, uh, burnt his butterfly." 

McGonagall released Theo's hand, gazing unimpressed at Ginny. "You," she paused, and Theo wanted to die, "burnt it?"

Ginny nodded frantically, "Yes! I'm so sorry Professor, it won't happen again, I swear." 

Theo just knew that McGonagall didn't believe a word of it, but she nodded slowly anyway, locking eyes with him, suspicion heavy in her gaze. "Ten points from Gryffindor then," she said, pursing her lips and walking away. 

~~~~~~~~~~

After lunch, Theo walked into Gryffindor tower exhausted. His bones ached, and his blood felt hot in his veins, signs he'd learnt to know meant that his and Harry's session after dinner couldn't come fast enough.